LegacyGT.com

Cleaning up spilled PS fluid from engine bay

Mechanic managed to dump as much PS fluid that's supposed to go into the reservoir all over the engine bay.

It's run from the frame under the reservoir, down the valve cover, the under-cover, the timing belt cover...

I'm thinking of hitting it with Simple Green and rags later to clean up what I can.

You should have seen the smoke after a short drive after it was filled. I was honestly expecting to see flames when I popped the hood. Smoke was pouring out from under the exhaust heat shield.

:spin:

So after a couple of days it's still smoking after driving around town. God only knows how much fluid was spilled onto the exhaust.

It looks like most of the fluid was spilled down between the frame and the pass side valve cover and onto the exhaust. The first day smoke from the fluid was pouring out from under the heat shield below the timing cover.

It appears that the smoke still comes out from the pass side exhaust heat shield, possibly on top of the shield below the valve cover.

I don't know how much made its way in between the heat shield and exhaust pipe.

I'm sort of at the point where I don't want to get the thing too hot. I'm guessing just drive around for a few more days and let it burn off slowly.

Does the heat shield run under the exhaust pipe too? Could it have pooled down under there? I know some of it pooled in the wheel well (I had the air intake box out to clean down there).

Not sure which model you have but my 2.5i definitely captures fluids and holds on to them for a week or more in the exhaust heat shield.

I think PS fluid is the same as automatic tranny fluid and not harmful to anything. Brake fluid is very damaging to painted surfaces.

Archived