LegacyGT.com

Suspected grounding and/or shorting

I browsed through the threads about anything electrical and I've had some funky issues lately.

1. My acceleration is delayed in first gear when I "hammer down," then studders (oil screens for turbo? Scheduling a timing belt kit replacement and screen cleaning in the process.)

2. Flashing Cruise Control with solid check engine light. It intermittent, but annoying (I'm not just "clearing it" and hoping for the best).

3. When I turn the rear defroster on, there seems to be an amazing amount of EMI/RFI because my radio goes straight to snow.

4. At inconsistent and random times, my ILL indication on the dash appears without me rolling the dial, and the volume shows up and either goes up or down by one or two without me rolling the knob.

So, some minor electrical problems. I've a laundry list of fixes and preventative maintenance to do. Any suggestions? I'm at 105,000 miles. Only "mod" I have is a K&N box filter, and I took the delete off the air box and coupled a drain screen on it to keep the big shit out.

I figure checking wire grounds is the best place to start, but I've no idea where to start. From there I guess its chasing wires and making sure they aren't frayed. The FSM and I are going to become very intimate soon.

Aspiring Leggy enthusiast needs some advice/help, please.

Are the battery terminals clean and tight ?

How old is the battery ?

Have you cleaned the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner ?

Some of us with early cars found out back in early 2005 that the battery terminals need to be clean and tight.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

all of the above (especially pulling the codes to see how serious they are)

Plus one more: when alternators start to go (brushes worn out), they can get electrically "noisy" and create a lot of interference

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Archived