LegacyGT.com

05 Dies prior to ingition

05 LGT limited wagon with no mods will just die prior to starting. I will put the key in, turn it to on and let the guages sweep, I go to crank it and all the electronics die, no power at all. I'm thinking that it is the battery cable because if I just touch it, it will usually start right back up. Whoever owned the vehicle before me has done some mods that were put back to stock because it is missing some covers and whatnot under the hood, also missing the battery tie down, where I'm assuming they had a larger battery in it. Anyway, anyone had this problem before and if so did a new cable fix it? What is really strange is my wifes 08 Outback 2.5i had the same issue and they both happened about the same time, her's was obvious though as the cable would no longer stay tight on the neg. terminal.

Remove the cables from the battery, clean them with a wire brush battery terminal cleaner and re-install them nice and tight.

How old is the battery ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

No system, that's going to happen sometime when time and cash allow. The battery is less than a year old, the terminals and everything look to be spotless, that was the first thing I thought of. They are tight and I have to like bend the cable it-self to make it come back to life. It's not killing the battery just all electronics go completely dead.

I will double check that as well, I can get an OEM cable for like 50 bucks so it's not a huge expense to replace. I will try cleaning and what not first though. I have to get a battery tie down for it anyway, PO decided to take a buch of that stuff out and not put it back when it went back stock.

While at the auto parts store I would have them run a health check on the battery anyways. I know you said it's only a year old, but I had one die that was (supposedly) only that old which caused my car to have the same issues your describing. Peace of mind at least that the battery is at least functioning properly.

Didn't have time to mess with it all weekend, had to move about 2 1/2 tons of mulch instead. I'll keep you posted, I think I might start with the battery tie down just to keep if from moving and see how much that helps, after a good inspection of the battery terminals. Since I get about 30% off OEM parts if it comes down to it I will probably just get the OE cable assy. It comes with all the wires for neg and pos and whatever else feeds off of it. Just easier for me to mess with.

Archived