LegacyGT.com

Should I buy a 1999 Legacy GT - 30th Anniversary addition with 180k Miles?

JamesSubaru

Hi, all I'm new to the forum :) This would be my first Subaru yet only my second car. I have a few questions....

Should I buy a 1999 Legacy GT - 30th Anniversary addition with 180k Miles? Leather Seats.. Sunroof... pretty much loaded. Clean inside & out.

The guy is asking for $2700

How many miles can these cars usually go before the engine is done????

I bought my 99 Legacy GT - 30th Anniversary for $1500 a year and a half ago and it only had 170k on it. Now it is a little beat up for paint but its strong I just broke 190k last week. only broke down twice once was a flat tire not really the cars fault and once blew a radiator hose. Original motor and body and suspension wrx brakes though.

I bought my 99 Legacy GT - 30th Anniversary for $1500 a year and a half ago and it only had 170k on it. Now it is a little beat up for paint but its strong I just broke 190k last week. only broke down twice once was a flat tire not really the cars fault and once blew a radiator hose. Original motor and body and suspension wrx brakes though.

Dude!!! Thank you for your response. Makes me happier as im seeing the car tmmrw afternoon I will let you know how it goes!

Just a few more questions though....

Did you buy it with any maintenance records, as the guy im buying it from doesn't have any says the lady that owned it before him was a rich spoiled lady.

Thats the only maintenance you've got done to it? Any electrical problems? you should totally put up some pics of your car!!

Just for reference, "spoiled/whatever old lady owned it before" is literally the oldest trick in the car sales book. Stick your head in the window and breathe deep. If it smells like your grandma, they're telling the truth. More often than not, though, they're telling pork pies.

My first car was a 1999 subaru legacy 30th anniversary wagon that I inherited from my grandma, it only had just rolled over 100k miles when I decided to sell it.. She was the original owner and selling it was a huge mistake.

Fast forward 4 years, and way too many cars later.. I found myself searching for another legacy. I ended up buying a 2004 legacy 35th anniversary sedan. Bought it with around 170k miles on it with a new timing belt, head gasket and other maintenance recently done for $4200. I put over 20k miles on it before some asshat blew past a stop sign causing me to slam into the back of his truck. Luckily, I found out Subarus hold their value. Insurance ended up paying me $5600 for my loss. Now I am on Legacy #3.

Since this is only your second car, I am assuming you are young like me. Subarus are safe, practical and great cars if you keep up with maintenance. The price for the car you are looking at seems about right, depending on your location. Although since he doesn't have any records on maintenance I would be careful. It has 180k miles which is right around the interval for timing belt round 2. If you decide to purchase this car, use this information to talk him down on his asking price. Timing belt kit will run you somewhere between 500-900 depending on where you take it.

Personally, I would pass on this car unless he can provide maintenance records. Keep your eyes open, you should have no problem finding one around your price range with proper maintenance records. Buying a new car is exciting so don't settle for the first one you find!

Just wanna give everybody and update. First off thank you for all the responses.

I went to see the Suby, and unfortunately it had a failing Transmission and the seller mentioned nothing about it. Thank god it stopped working as soon as I test drove it.

But I need to tell everybody I decided to purchase an SUV instead. But don't worry all..................I WILL BE BACK soon.

Just wanna give everybody and update. First off thank you for all the responses.

I went to see the Suby, and unfortunately it had a failing Transmission and the seller mentioned nothing about it. Thank god it stopped working as soon as I test drove it.

But I need to tell everybody I decided to purchase an SUV instead. But don't worry all..................I WILL BE BACK soon.

Yeah, because gas is like, $4/gal for regular. You'll be begging for a 4cylinder before month end!

Archived