LegacyGT.com

yup they never burped it.

you need a 2$ coolant funnel you place on the rad and set the heater to high and let the engine run through a few fan cycles. while putting coolant into the funnel as air escapes the level in the funnel will go down. squeeze the upper rad hose at the same time to speed things along.

or you can bug the shop for not doing this properly the first time.

ok update , i followed the burped routine , temp stays normal untill i rev it then it rises , i did notice with the aircon on high it was not warm or hot, i checked the top pip on the rad hot and bottom cold , so this points me to the termostat, i also notice the expantion thank was filling up , not sure if it was over filled at the garage. The mechanic at the garage rang me to see how i got on , he thinks the HG is blown and that i should remove the termostat and see if it still heats up . any ideas, icant get a termostat untill tue as its a bank holiday here.

If it is the hg , is it worth doing on a 99 car .

Are the fans coming on? Why did it need a new radiator? Was it overheating before? Cold lower hose means no flow, did they change the thermostat? If so that could be the problem, as it is likely they did not use a Subaru thermostat.

If burping helped a little, you're likely not done, keep burping. Fill, squeeze, repeat.

Pop open the thermostat housing. See what they put in there. There is a huge diffrance in t-stats from generic aftermarket to OEM . after I replaced my busted radiator I got a basic t-stat from Autozone. ALL BAD! Car started over heating until I pulled the t-stat. Replaced with OEM and the car is back to normal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

sorry yes the fans are running , , i got the car cheap as its rad was cracked, they did not replace the thermostat, i will do that nxt week , i was told by its owner that it did not have a overheating problem ,so i took him at his word. the machanic that was working on it got fired, bad workmanship , he put the rad in , thats where it ends .

i will remove the old thermostat and retry .i find it unusual that another mechanic said remove the therma and see what happens. Thanks Guys

I am try ing to find a indapendant subaru mech , near where i live no liik so far , just incase its the HG, So far the car , new rad and second hand alt , plus car pick up and delivery has set me back 770 euros , not bad good alloys and tyres cabin in good nick , front bumber needs some work or replacement.

SO FINGERS CROSSED ITS NOT THE HG

do not mess with the t-stat unless you install an original subaru part.

an ''oem'' from the parts store will not work.

then fill and BURP the system.

do a search for 'how to fill and burp your cooling system'.

Archived