LegacyGT.com

will this pressure tactic work?

CombatCQB

If I went to the dealer and tried to order a GT with just one or two options less than the one they had on the lot, would they try to get me to buy the one on the lot at a discount? Is the car too new for them to be taking a loss on it? Assuming I'm negotiating everything at invoice already. Has anyone gotten the car below invoice, i.e. having options thrown in for free?

Guest *Jedimaster*
Trust me, they're never taking a loss on a car. They'll tell you bullshit like that, but don't feel sorry for them. They're a business and they're fully willing to bend you over without lube, so feel free to do the same to them if you get an opportunity.

You just described the exact scenario that got me my car. The dealer "put in my order", but said he'd look out for other dealers' cars to give me sooner. Surprise surprise, he found one two days later, but it had a couple options I didn't want. I told him I really didn't want to spend the money on the upgraded alarm system just to have it go off all the time, and he broke down after a while. Gave me invoice on the other two options, and half of invoice on the alarm. $300 more all told, so I took him up on it. Felt kind of bad after he wrote me up a crazy deal thinking I was going to lease, and I finally let out that I was paying cash. They will most definitely try to sell you the car on the lot, but talk them down and you won't get singed on the options.

[quote name='arcsine']Felt kind of bad after he wrote me up a crazy deal thinking I was going to lease, and I finally let out that I was paying cash. They will most definitely try to sell you the car on the lot, but talk them down and you won't get singed on the options.[/quote] Did you tell him you're going to lease in the beginning? Most dealers I know the first question they ask you is not your name, what car you're looking for, or anything like that. They ask how you're paying for the car. I never know how to get around that question. Was he pretty pissed off when you told him it was going to be in cash? Anyways, that's the best way to negotiate anything. Salesmen think of themselves as some slick-talking, alway-be-closing types. So if you put on that "I have a budget" but don't have it on the lot or show a subtle interest in the higher spec model routine, they'll always give you a nice discount on the higher spec car because to them, they're making extra profit talking you into it and it puffs them up thinking they can talk anybody into any car. So he walks away feeling llike Gordon Gecko and you walk away with a good deal.

Archived