LegacyGT.com

Intermittent E brake "Thumping"?? Wuzup??

My daughter's '01 Limited w/188k on it has developed a not so intermiitent thumping coming from the driver's rear wheel and after pulling the caliper and finding nothing but worn pads(and been replaced last night), I was thinking outer CV joint, but those things rarely fail back there. NOthing consistently sets it off and usually slowing down or coming to a stop kilss the vibration. I climbed up in the passenger seat and slightly lifted the ebrake handle while she drove and the more I applied the ebraked the more thumping I felt i nthe handle. SOURCE OF THE PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Nw what's causing this and what potentially do I need to order to fix this? Yeah, there's two small shoes inside there, but what broke loose or is out of round in there? The passenger side is fine. I'd like to have all the parts ready willing and available so I don't have her car laid up for a week waiting on stuff.

TIA folks

DM&FS

Some additional research leads me to believe that it could be a wheel bearing too, but not sure how that would transmit up to the cable but go away as quickly as it arrived. I had a bad wheel bearing in my 96 Brighton Wagon and that noise never went away...until I repaired it. I checked the lug nuts and retorqued them to 85#; the backs were way too tight before all this started and the fronts about right.

Oh well, we'll find out soon enough I guess.

DM&FS

Archived