LegacyGT.com

Stiff Clutch Pedal and Unhappy Noises

Before I run out and buy a new clutch kit, thought I'd see if anyone might have other suggestions on what would cause these problems. Its an 07 LGT, 59k miles. Stock as far as I know but possible someone tinkered with it before I bought the car.

The clutch is pretty darn stiff. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being stiffest) I'd call it a 7.5. Its gotten a tad worse with the warmer air and gets much worse if the cars been driven for a while. From what I've read the 07+ LGT clutch was suppose to be lighter than 05-06 and I can't imagine them being worse than this, so somethings up. Its getting to the point where my scrawny left leg, ankle and knee are starting to bother me a bit so I need to do something quick.

Also worrying is the noise its making. The vid was taken after about an hour drive. The noise is mostly at the bottom of the pedal travel towards the floor. Any thoughts?

http://youtu.be/ZqmyqHL8TM4

Does the clutch FEEL any different throughout the travel, particularly where it's making the squeaking noise? Could be a failing pressure plate or TOB. Either one starting to bind up, causing the noises and extra stiff pedal.

Yep, it sure does. Tough to describe but seems to get more "vauge" the further you press, and more stiff the further down you press. No noise at the beginning of clutch travel, it happens towards the end.

I had this EXACT problem there are two things afoul: your Throw Out Bearing is failing and the input shaft is probably rusted.

Pedal was super stiff and vague as you put it the further i pushed it to the firewall.

Start shopping for a OEM replacement clutch pack Exedy FJK1001 and a shop that will do the clutch job for a decent price.

I had this EXACT problem there are two things afoul: your Throw Out Bearing is failing and the input shaft is probably rusted.

Pedal was super stiff and vague as you put it the further i pushed it to the firewall.

Start shopping for a OEM replacement clutch pack Exedy FJK1001 and a shop that will do the clutch job for a decent price.

Thanks for the insight! I'll be picking up an Exedy or OE clutch kit, TSK3 kit, and while I'm at is some shifter busings from infamous performance. My buddy has a pit in his garage so we'll be doing the clutch job there.

Did you have your flywheel refinished or did you replace with a new one?

Mine was in perfect shape didnt do either. But if I had to I would have it turned versus spending for a new FW.

Once it's all fixed youll freak out at how light the pedal feels it will stink for the first 500 or so miles.

Do 2007 LGT's have dual mass flywheels? If so I don't think you're supposed to resurface them.

*Did some brief research and it sounds like 2007+ LGT's use a regular single mass flywheel

As GEE-OTTO mention, it's probably the TOB drying up on the input shaft.

Is that sqeek when you press in the pedel coming from the pedel or from the clutch housing area? If it's down by the floor board, there's a tensionor spring underneath the clutch pedel. Spray some white lithium grease over it and it should go away.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Do 2007 LGT's have dual mass flywheels? If so I don't think you're supposed to resurface them.

*Did some brief research and it sounds like 2007+ LGT's use a regular single mass flywheel

Correct, 07+ had SMF. Thanks though!

As GEE-OTTO mention, it's probably the TOB drying up on the input shaft.

Is that sqeek when you press in the pedel coming from the pedel or from the clutch housing area? If it's down by the floor board, there's a tensionor spring underneath the clutch pedel. Spray some white lithium grease over it and it should go away.

Definitely coming from the engine bay :/

Fred beans has OE LGT clutch kit and TSK3 for $405. Pretty damn good. Will prob go with that.

Archived