LegacyGT.com

1994 Justy or my SpecB suspension?

neushane

Need some help making a wise decision.

I was looking for a cheap car to drive back and forth to work so i can not drive the SpecB. I found a 94 Justy with 250K miles on it. Dude wanted like $1500. I offered up $800. Turned me down. He then lowered his ad to $1350. I said the offer still stood and he replied back he got an offer of $875 but would take $900. I said no thanks but got a text tonight that he would take the $800. Guess he moves Saturday. Should I jump on it or buy Bilstein HDs and sti pinks for my SpecB?

Thanks for any input.

Shane

I had a 1988 Justy. I loved it. However, parts availability is slim in the event of a major failure, and the fuel economy isn't as good as other cars of its size. It comes with major points for rarity, but most of the guys on the Justy forum have 2 or 3 parts cars just to keep 1 running. Rough estimate: 60% of the blown motor threads/posts I've seen have left holes in the block. Those motors aren't easy to source, and a boxer won't fit without major major major fab work. It will be cheaper over time to keep driving the Spec B and you'll probably buy the suspension anyway :)

It's a hit and miss, do a compression test and a smoke test before purchase.

The catch with those small cars is that they usually have a design lifetime of 60k miles, so if it has passed that it's almost pure luck. 250k miles seems to be quite a distance, and unless it has been very well maintained with a lot of proof of replacement of wear items and no oil leaks then I would look for something else - even a motorcycle or a moped.

453747.png

I would save the money and buy anything else :) I love me a Justy but you mentioned you want to drive it instead of the B. I would look for a Tercel if you want a small car at least then parts are cheap and available.

yeah, i passed on the Justy. I am only around for the summer and fall then I have to make my 3rd deployment in 3 years so I might as well enjoy it driving what makes me happy. Thanks for the inputs.

Two car viability goes way down for military. I had a TDI Golf to daily while my LGT sat. All the money I saved in fuel went to the extra insurance and repairs. 2 deployments in two years was just a bigger storage bill with no benefit.

And try to find suspension parts, I had to use front end parts from a VW Golf(sacrilegious) for my 84?? Notorious parts eaters, but when one lives in the great north. BTW the car didn't accelerate...it accumulated....1.3 POS

yeah, i passed on the Justy. I am only around for the summer and fall then I have to make my 3rd deployment in 3 years so I might as well enjoy it driving what makes me happy. Thanks for the inputs.

In that case I think that you can stick to one car that you really like and let it be good instead of having two cars that are so-so.

Having a car that you don't like isn't good for the mood.

453747.png

Archived