LegacyGT.com

Replace torque converter or live with the shudder?

I just picked up a 2009 3.0R and the transmission has the characteristic shudder...I have a 30 day/1000 mile warranty from the dealership, and I am going to try and get them to make the repair.

Has anyone here with an 08-09 Legacy with the 5eat had their torque converter replaced in accordance with the TSB regarding the issue? What's the range on cost?

I know it's a pretty major repair, so I am wondering if they won't replace the torque converter, is the shudder something I can just live with, or will it damage the transmission? If they won't I'll probably try fresh fluid and a computer reset.

I think the majority of 5EATs have the shudder. Some more noticeable than others. It is more a product of the tune, but it will not damage the transmission unless it's something more severe than most have reported.

Is the shudder violent/consistent/etc?

:yeahthat:

My 2009 LGT shudders as well and I have been comtemplating bringing it in to the dealer as mine is still under warranty. Mine is infuriating because it is very inconsistent. I can drive it for several days and maybe get it to happen once or twice. However, when it does happen it is pretty violent and you can easily feel it in the car, like driving over a rumble strip. I'm hesitant to waste a bunch of time bringing it in and likely arguing with the dealer about the existence of the problem. On the other hand, it annoys the shit out of me and I don't want to get stuck paying to replace it down the line if it gets worse. Mine falls within the build range of the TSB, so it should be a no brainer, but I have a feeling they're going to try to jack me around. I've tried changing fluid and clearing the learned behavior but it always comes back.

I don't think it is necessarily a product of the stock tune. The TSB basically says it was related to the machining of the torque converter.

How often does yours shudder and how severe is it?

Mine seems to be somewhat inconsistent as well. Usually it's pretty mild, around 1500 RPM, anywhere from 35-45 MPH it seems. It does seem to be more prevalent when I'm driving uphill. As mentioned, it just sounds like I'm driving over rumble strips, no violent jerking or anything like that. My car is completely stock.

Legacy 25GTMN, I've got the same concerns as you with the dealer. I have a feeling they'll tell me it's not re-producable, or that it's operating normally. I'm dropping the car off tomorrow, I'll let you know their response- I've already given them the heads up about the TSB.

Bummer that a fluid change and re-learning doesn't have any effect.

Well of course they're going to go for the easier/cheaper option. They aren't going to just flat out do the most expensive option. It'd make no sense.

It reality, this doesn't damage your car. Plenty of 5EAT GT's running around and not breaking due to a shudder. Talk with your dealer though and work it out with them if you really feel you need to resolve it.

:yeahthat:

Mine seems to be somewhat inconsistent as well. Usually it's pretty mild, around 1500 RPM, anywhere from 35-45 MPH it seems. It does seem to be more prevalent when I'm driving uphill. As mentioned, it just sounds like I'm driving over rumble strips, no violent jerking or anything like that. My car is completely stock.

Legacy 25GTMN, I've got the same concerns as you with the dealer. I have a feeling they'll tell me it's not re-producable, or that it's operating normally. I'm dropping the car off tomorrow, I'll let you know their response- I've already given them the heads up about the TSB.

I have this too. I feel it in 5th only however and never when the TC unlocks.

I just live with it. I'm not 100% it's actually the tranny. Mine feels like I'm feeling a misfire and very similar in feel to the lumpy idle of a subi.

Yeah mine does it in that RPM/speed range as well. Good luck. I'll be interested to hear how they respond. There are some threads about it on this and other forums where people were able to get their TC replaced and it fixed the problem. My car is also stock. I guess mine isn't that violent either, just like rumble strips, but it bugs me because I know it is not supposed to be that way. No 2008 or 2009 LGT I ever test drove did it and conveniently mine did not either. My phase one 4EAT in my beater Outback shifts and locks up smoother than my LGT. I'm going to wait until a month or so and re-evaluate if I am going to take mine in. The fluid change seemed to get rid or it temporarily but it was back within 500-1000 miles.

How many miles on your car?

Update: Turns out my car doesn't fall within the VIN/production range for the TSB to apply. Tech also said he "didn't notice" the shudder, but it happened on my drive back from the dealership. Oh well, looks like I'll just live with it.

Only about 43k miles. It was doing it a lot on my way home from work today. Hopefully it's still happening in the morning when I drop it off...I'll update tomorrow with the dealer's response.

• 1 year later...

So my son recently purchased a CPO 2012 Subaru Legacy 3.6R (74K miles). Didn't notice it during the test-drive but sure enough it exhibited the tranny shudder pretty consistently in the 1500-2000 RPM range.

We notified the dealer and brought the vehicle in to demonstrate the issue. Also copied-off this post to help the tech with any background info on this issue. Funny enough the tech said they don't see too many 3.6R 5AT come thru the service bay, so this was new territory for him.

Good news is that they called today and said they will be ordering a new Torque Converter and will replace under the CPO warranty. Will let you all know but hopefully this resolves the problem

Update: Got the 3.6R back last week and took it thru its paces. Good News -- replacing the Torque Converter fixed the shudder problem. Very satisfied with the dealer and the service dept.

Archived