LegacyGT.com

2008 NA Stinky oil change

Regardless of how careful I am when changing oil, some of the old oil ends up inside the heat shields when I remove the oil filter. Then I get a whiff of burning oil for the next week or so when I come to a stop after driving for a little while. This smell really makes me feel nauseous. Is there a trick to changing the filter so this doesn't happen?

One of the best ideas I read on this forum or another forum is to use a solo cup when you remove the oil filter. I haven't gotten a chance to try this yet but it sounds like it should work nicely. Some people also say you could use a bread bag when you remove the filter, but I think the plastic cup is the way to go.

Got to get one of these...it looks like a great idea. A lot of folks on BITOG use them, they can be ordered on Amazon.

Or a DIY solution would be to cut up a milk jug or something to make a funnel.

21Iaj9qnDOL.jpg.dd0f29eaaddcaebd729a32856294805a.jpg

I save the large heavy duty plastic bags that brake rotors and stuff come in for this. Or you can use a gallon ziploc but those are a little flimsier. What I do is barely crack the filter loose then cover it with the bag and twist the rest of the way off, so the filter and some oil fall into the bag. Double-bag it if you get oil on the outside of the bag. I never make a mess this way.

Im gonna try the solo cup though, that actually sounds perfect.

Archived