LegacyGT.com

Saving the engine & Trans from my 99 Leg SUS

I have a bone stock 99 Legacy SUS Limited. It was a perfect car with 108,000 miles (I have owned it since 20,000) and I just replaced the transmission with a certified remanufactured trans.

Unfortunately, the body of my Subie gave it's life to save my son's life recently. He is fine (almost unscratched in a high speed rollover) - thank you Subaru.

The car is considered totaled but the drive train appears to be fine. Engine still starts, trans is of course brand new.

Question. Is it worth me keeping the drive train and placing it in another Subie that may not have such a great low mileage engine and brand new trans?

If this is a decent idea, I'm wondering what years this engine and trans would go in? Will it go into any third gen or only similar 2nd ten?

Thanks for any advice on this.

99 is a transition year.

the 99 ej25D engine will swap into 96 - 99 outbacks, GTs and LSi.

plus the 98 forester.

it will also swap into the 96 - 98 legacy L , brighton and LS, with some adaptations.

the 99 outback trans will swap into any 00 - 03 outback, forester or GT.

of course the they will both swap in to a 99 outback and GT.

I'd look for a 1996- '99 Outback that some one is getting rid of because of bad headgaskets. Around here, lots of nice looking ones $1,000 or less on Craig's list (plus you have a parts car to replace or upgrade other parts as well)

^+1

find a nice 99 outback with a bad engine.

swap in your engine and leather.

drive it.

then look for a 99 outback or newer with a bad auto trans and do it again.

sell which ever one you like less.

Thanks for all the replies. If I had a place to store the parts car and a second car, I'd certainly consider the engine in one and trans in the other. Right now I mainly need to make a good buy and get a car back on the road within a month or two.

Might just pull my engine and trans and store them in the garage, then buy a compatible car and drive it until it potentially needs one or the other.

Knowing my original subie, that may be a long time, or never. Something about the security of an engine you drove from the start and know all the maintenance on that is re-assuring. Then again, I could swap it in and have the head gasket go immediately.

Archived