LegacyGT.com

Big cloud(s) of gray smoke...

It has about 130K on it, the engine allegedly has less. I don't think it's a head gasket, it just plain runs too good (other than the crappy idle) and there's no fluids leaking anywhere or any smoke at all from the exhaust anymore that would suggest they're being burned. Yeah, it's warranty. They found a bunch of vacuum leaks while doing the job, and I very much suspect that something either didn't get hooked back up or didn't stay hooked up. Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow.

Get the shop to tell you what hose was disconnected that caused the motor oil to get burned. I want to hear what they tell you.

Nope, I think they were right about what was causing the crazy smoke because that's back to normal.

I might have missed it but what was causing the smoke then? They fixed up some boot and vacuum lines but I can't see anything about coolant or oil leaks?

Did they do the compression test in the end?

The smoke was from a bad seal in the turbo. They did do a compression test, which showed some significant imbalance between the cylinders, but it was running fine when we brought it in. Just smoking. Now it doesn't smoke, but it idles like crap. Whatever happened, happened after we dropped it off to have the excessive smoke fixed.

So, today they took the front of the engine apart, found some missing seals and fasteners, the timing belt was one tooth off, put it back together to the tune of who knows how many hundreds of dollars and it ran no different. They're convinced the problem is in the heads, and for a minimum of $2500 they'll get started on that next week.

I'm taking the car out of there tomorrow, and trailering it down to Wrench Rite, where I should have brought it in the first place.

Archived