LegacyGT.com

Strange Vibration When Accelerating (05 OBXT) Maybe Torque Converter?

{back story}

last night i was searching for a leak that i believed was coming from the rear of the passenger side head. in order to see the leak i had the front of the car on Rhino Ramps to make it easier to get under the car. i then decided i was gonna raise the engine up a bit from the transmission (as I've done many times before but this being the first time while the car was on Rhino Ramps. so i unbolted the engine mount and raised the engine up from the transmission to clean the subframe. the engine kinda came out at a slight angle (forward of the motor mount holes and not directly above it) most likely due to having it on the ramps.

so when i was done and i lowered the engine back thinking it would fall back into the motor mount holes it did not, the studs would rest forward of the holes. it took some work of slightly rocking the engine and a small ratchet strap wrapped around the exhaust and onto the subframe to coax the engine back and into the mounting holes.

so now driving the car around i noticed a slight vibration. it feels speed dependent but once the car is in park it'll vibrate up to 3k where i stopped for my test. it would idle smooth. so i wasn't sure if it was the engine or not so i had my wife slowly accelerate while i was under the hood. i could not hear or feel any vibration at all with my hand on the engine (hands were on the intercooler and the intake) but inside the cab my wife could hear and feel the vibration thru the test. while driving around it would almost feel like a muffled grinding but would not sound like that at all. it would also happen on a slow start when i was turning and would go away while driving at 30-40mph. it really only seemed to be on a acceleration.

my question is, could i have affected something while i was lifting the engine out of its mounts or while trying to force the engine back in its mounts? i checked all the fluids and they are all okay. i was also wondering it i might have messed up something with the rear slip joint on the driveshaft? it feels as if its coming from the center or the front of the car. with my hands on the engine i absolutely could not feels any out of the ordinary vibration while the engine was being slowly revved

You probably have contact between your engine and frame other than the rubber mounts

Take a pry bar from underneath and move the motor around on the rubber mounts

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

The engine came forward about 1/2"

I don't think I heard any noises besides the studs rubbing on the holes on the way out.

No fluids leaking at all from the rear of the trans.

I was thinking about the output shaft, I'll take a look at that tomorrow, I think I have to remove the exhaust to gain access? I was also thinking that maybe I damaged the carrier bearing on the driveshaft? Because the engine came forward and was very hard to get pushed back so something must have slipped out or something

I have the car on jack stands and I had my wife get inside and bring it up to 40mph and it was vibrating inside that she could feel it but I could not feel any vibration outside the vehicle. I had my hands in the engine and it was smooth as butter. The only thing I noticed was the rear passenger side rotor seems warped because it kinda scratches once every revolution.

We went thru many different driving cycles and speeds with the car on jack stands and I could not find anything visually eschew with the car. I even got underneath and could see or feel anything, granted I didn't touch the transmission (I forgot) but the driveshaft was spinning very smoothly too so I don't really know what's going on

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You probably have contact between your engine and frame other than the rubber mounts

Take a pry bar from underneath and move the motor around on the rubber mounts

I lifted up the engine again and checked and I couldnt find any other contact. I lowered it and it easily went back in.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The engine went forward because you didn't disconnect the pitching stopper from under the tmic. Vibration could be CV's in front axles if they are old. That would be speed but not rpm dependant

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Archived