LegacyGT.com

Anyone running 245/40r18s with lowered suspension?

BarManBean

I'm on H-Techs w/ saggy butt spacers on an 07 Sedan with 18x8 +42 Enkei Rajins, I rubbed in the rear with 245's and then went with 225x40 R18's, still rubbed a bit so I rolled rears not too harsh and only rub in front if I crank the wheel and turn sharp.

• Moderators
I'm on H-Techs w/ saggy butt spacers on an 07 Sedan with 18x8 +42 Enkei Rajins, I rubbed in the rear with 245's and then went with 225x40 R18's, still rubbed a bit so I rolled rears not too harsh and only rub in front if I crank the wheel and turn sharp.

I think you mean +45 for the offset, yes?

Either way thanks for the reply :)

18x9 38offset 245/40 on Tien Flex coils. Lots of rubbing. But nothing a roll wouldn't fix.

Waiting to get my fenders rolled. Will follow up.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b260/kongzilla/Subaru%20OB/08dd546a-5c56-4fd8-a2ab-0aa8bc4506c2.jpg

OK. Are you able to measure your right height from center of the hub to the fenders, front/rear? Would be interested to compare to my own ride height.

I'm thinking that the +38 offset probably makes your setup rub a touch more than mine would at +48, but not a huge difference really.

Are you running any camber?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Not sure how much you're willing to modify the fenders and flares BarManBean, but I rolled/pulled the fenders under the flares on my OBXT, then trimmed the flares (oem they were like 1" thick or so, I used a dremel and trimmed them down to about 1/4" or so, so they didn't stick in any further than the newly rolled fender lip). Standing next to the car it looked super clean and you couldn't tell at all, and I had zero issues running 255's. I was going to try to squeeze 275's on there eventually but never got a chance. The OBXT really lets you create a lot of room under there if you don't mind trimming a bit.

• Moderators
Not sure how much you're willing to modify the fenders and flares BarManBean, but I rolled/pulled the fenders under the flares on my OBXT, then trimmed the flares (oem they were like 1" thick or so, I used a dremel and trimmed them down to about 1/4" or so, so they didn't stick in any further than the newly rolled fender lip). Standing next to the car it looked super clean and you couldn't tell at all, and I had zero issues running 255's. I was going to try to squeeze 275's on there eventually but never got a chance. The OBXT really lets you create a lot of room under there if you don't mind trimming a bit.

So far, I have preemptively trimmed the flares. Just did it with an exacto knife, but did it similarly to what you describe leaving about 1/4". Rears are rolled flat, but not pulled. Fronts are rolled as flat as they could get without risking "pushing" on the supports for the flares. If I can do a bit more of a "pull" up front without worrying about actually pushing the actual flare pieces off of the car that would be fine.

I'm guessing you were running 255/35s? I have a chance to test fit a set of 255/35r18s on a set of 18x9 +38 wheels. Those would be a smaller diameter compared to 245/40s, but I would think the lower offset and width would really give me an idea of how well the 245/40s would fit.

OK. Are you able to measure your right height from center of the hub to the fenders, front/rear? Would be interested to compare to my own ride height.

I'm thinking that the +38 offset probably makes your setup rub a touch more than mine would at +48, but not a huge difference really.

Are you running any camber?

I'll get that info to you tomorrow.

I haven't gotten it to the alignment shop yet so its been sitting. Not really safe to drive it the way it is right now.

I don't think our rears can do camber. Only toe. The front can do both.

• Moderators
www.willtheyfit.com will give you all the info you need to know about diameter, etc.

If I knew how much clearance I had on compression (i.e. over bumps), then yes that would work. A website will only tell you if you can physically mount things up at a standstill--really much more difficult to gauge how things will act on the street.

I'll get that info to you tomorrow.

I haven't gotten it to the alignment shop yet so its been sitting. Not really safe to drive it the way it is right now.

I don't think our rears can do camber. Only toe. The front can do both.

Awesome, thanks. I'm putting in camber bushings and a KTA124 setup in the rear so should be able to dial in a degree or so of camber in the rear without much trouble :)

I'm guessing you were running 255/35s? I have a chance to test fit a set of 255/35r18s on a set of 18x9 +38 wheels. Those would be a smaller diameter compared to 245/40s, but I would think the lower offset and width would really give me an idea of how well the 245/40s would fit.

No, they were 255/40R18 Hankook v12's on an 18x8.5 et43 wheel. This is the same setup I'm currently running on my specB with no rolling up front, and just a roll with no pull in the back, -2.25f/-1.75r camber.

• Moderators
No, they were 255/40R18 Hankook v12's on an 18x8.5 et43 wheel. This is the same setup I'm currently running on my specB with no rolling up front, and just a roll with no pull in the back, -2.25f/-1.75r camber.

Damn. Based on that it seems like 245/40r18 on a +45 wheel should be no issue--especially since I'm rolled in the rear and have a very slight roll up front.

Either way, it looks like I'm picking up another set of '04 STi BBS with some summer rubber mounted up, 225/45r17. Will be a safe set of wheels that I can use until I can finish my build in the next couple months hopefully. Once I'm sure that nothing surprising is going to pop up I can grab some new wheels / tires.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
Sorry late info. Forgot where this thread was.

14.5" in the front and 14" in the rear from fender to center of wheels.

Need to do some adjustments.

No problem, thanks for the info. I think I've pretty much settled on downsizing a touch and going with 235/45r18s on an 18x8 wheel. The overall diameter is a touch less that 245/45r18s (which would match stock), but overall is pretty close to stock outside diameter. The 235 vs 245 width should make fitment a bit easier.

No problem, thanks for the info. I think I've pretty much settled on downsizing a touch and going with 235/45r18s on an 18x8 wheel. The overall diameter is a touch less that 245/45r18s (which would match stock), but overall is pretty close to stock outside diameter. The 235 vs 245 width should make fitment a bit easier.

You may actually be better off with 235/40/18s - They would be a tiny bit closer and smaller diameter so that may help fitment more.

• Moderators

Obviously 235/40s would be an easier fit, but keep in mind I have an outback. Technically to match the stock outside diameter, I would need 245/45r18s. Trying to go as large as possible without fitment issues, and I'm thinking that 235/45s will be easier than 245/40s because of the slightly "thinner" tire, even though they will be slightly taller. The rub points after all will be on the outer edges.

Will see I guess...

Obviously 235/40s would be an easier fit, but keep in mind I have an outback. Technically to match the stock outside diameter, I would need 245/45r18s. Trying to go as large as possible without fitment issues, and I'm thinking that 235/45s will be easier than 245/40s because of the slightly "thinner" tire, even though they will be slightly taller. The rub points after all will be on the outer edges.

Will see I guess...

Ahh - Yup - If I had looked I would have noticed that you listed an Outback:p

Looks like you've got the right idea in mind though;) Hope it all works out!

Piggybacking this thread, BMB - Car is lowered on Koni/H&Rs, roughly 1.5" drop all around. Rear is rolled, front is not. Thinking of running 18x8.5 +45, 245/40/18 -- Anyone running a similar set-up? Should I anticipate any rubbing issues?

• Moderators

Well, FWIW I just got my setup on--235/45r18s on an 18x8+45 wheel. No rubbing at all. All four fenders are rolled (were rolled a little while back just in case.

@turboboost--with the konis, the limitation for you is going to become the inner spring perch on the shock bodies up front. I'm not sure you won't have issues there with a 245/40, and there's not much you can do about that other than switch to a bilstein style strut or coilovers, or go with a lower offset wheel or spacers.

Currently, I'm running RPF1s 17x8, 245/40/17 - no clearance/rubbing issues whatsoever. According to willtheyfit.com, I'll be running 6.3mm further in + 6.3mm further out, with a 12.7mm less wheel gap. Rubbing in the front fender and wheel gap clearance doesn't appear to be an issue, but I'm not sure how 12.7mm up + 6.3mm in will affect strut clearance.

...but the price is so good...

• Moderators
If I'm understanding your setups correctly, only the WHEEL will be inset farther. Assuming same offset and same tire width, you're actual tire (which is what would contact the spring perch) will not be inset any further. It WILL be taller though, so make sure you have vertical clearance space on your current setup--you'll need approximately 15mm (maybe a bit less) of vertical space there to clear. You don't need to worry about suspension travel there, it just has to fit when you bolt it up.

Archived