LegacyGT.com

Hard Steering

I wasn't sure where else to put this but my 2.5is steering is harder to turn the wheel than normal and the power steering is working but I do have to turn the wheel now a little.

Can someone tell me what might be wrong or what to check? It was fine driving last week but I was going 70-80 mph on a really rough road so I'm guessing that's what did it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the power steering fluid level.

If that's good go do some figure 8's in a parking lot, going lock to lock on the steering at low speed. Do that maybe 4 times. check fluid level, drive the car and see if its better.

You may have air in the sytem.

My wagon had that issue back in Jan when it was really cold out. I'm guessing it was pretty cold in Utica this AM.

I had the steering rack replaced two years ago. This was the first winter I had that issue. It's been fine since.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah I checked the fluid and it was fine. I might have gotten air out of the system anyway cuz it was pretty much gone other than it was a little stubborn but not as bad. I'll try that anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My steering rack is leaking from multiple locations. Its done. OEM is $700...Reman is ~$250... I've heard some iffy rumors about reman steering racks for Subaru's. Anyone have good luck with reman steering racks? Or should I bite the bullet and buy OEM. I'm hoping to hold onto to the car for another couple years and am currently at 165,000 miles...

Cheers,

Mike

I had the same problem with pw steering intermintently cutting out. Replaced the washer between the line and the pump and it fixed it. Heard it's a common problem in cold weather for subie's. My buddy is a subie tech and he sees this all the time.

I think the rack my trusted mechanic installed started with the letter F in it name, he would not use just any rack.

Sorry I can't remember.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Had to replace my steering rack in the 08 Outback 2.5i as well, luckily I bought an extended warranty so I went OEM and just had the dealer do it. Having some other issues with the steering now though but it goes in on Monday for that. 130,000 miles on the car but it still seems to run good and looks great so my wife wont let me trade up.

Archived