LegacyGT.com

gas smell?

after running my car on the highway to commute to work, (i wont lie i dont really hesitate to go triple digits) when i stop or have my windows down a little im smelling gas. i always smelled it a tiny bit i just thought it was from WOT. but its been getting worse reguardless of WOT and its getting me a little concerned. i dont want my leggy to catch fire :icon_cry: any ideas what the hell is goin on?

check the fuel filler neck, it can get stuff lodged in there and corrode (to the point of losing pressure)

fuel pump secured well?

could also maybe be a fuel vapor canister thing but idk much about that

ill check the fuel filler neck today after school whens its daylight. and its not only after i run it really hard just driving it "normal" for a few miles will make me smell it now. any if i can find it ill check the purge valve cus that would make some sense cus it smell like its coming from the front of the car, probly why i can smell it while actualy driving with the window down. no check engine light tho

ill look on alldata, i heard a kid at school complaining of the same thing so it could be a tsb. ill find where everything evap related is located and check that out and ill confirm or deny the location of the charcoal canister

Start simple.

Check the area around your fuel filter, the rubber hoses and small clamps that hold them on for leaks or looseness. THe fuel filter is on the driver side strut tower. And a likely cause for the smell.

ill check it tomarro before i leave school. thanks. and now im hopeing its that becuase the canister is expensive and it looks fine. i was about to start thinking that the charcoal just couldent contain the vapors anymore

i accidentally leaned on the canister in my wagon, snapped one of the hose nipples right the F off. when i saw the price of a new one, i went to a pick and pull, grabbed one off of the first impreza i saw for 10 bucks and installed it. made it through emissions, i was happy. oh ya, mine is a 95 so its still under the hood.

I was smelling gas around my car. bottom of the fuel filter was wet, put no leaks to be seen. replaced filter and hoses going to it. no more fuel leaks. looks like the previous owner had the hoses replaced twice, so maybe a common issue.

The rains been hammerin away and havent felt like getting wet to check stuff yet but I realy hope its something simple and quick and cheap to fix. But I have noticed that the smell goes away with the heavy rain, so it could be a small fuel leak and the water washes it off while im driving so I dont notice it

• 4 weeks later...

Archived