LegacyGT.com

LED Bulbs = Radio Static?!

ERLoft

So, I replaced my stock tails & turns with LED lighting and added the newest Tapturn module last week. I'm now noticing that when my lighting is on - brake lights, turn signals or full lighting - that my radio gets worse reception. The amount of static in the reception varies by where I'm at. It's kind of funny but definitely annoying - I can have my indicator on and the radio goes, 'hiss-hiss-hiss' in time with the flashers. Has anyone run into this before?

I'm trying to figure out how exterior bulbs could possibly affect radio reception, but am coming up blank...

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've heard of this before. I don't know if your LED lights are "switched", meaning they are pulsed on/off at high-speed with varying "on" times to change the brightness, if so it would appear the pulsing circuit is creating radio frequency interference, and it doesn't help that LEDs are non-linear devices already. Generally the way around this is to put a capacitor across the input (+ and -) to the module. Now I've never seen an aftermarket LED light so this is a guess, but its what I'd do.

So, I replaced my stock tails & turns with LED lighting and added the newest Tapturn module last week. I'm now noticing that when my lighting is on - brake lights, turn signals or full lighting - that my radio gets worse reception. The amount of static in the reception varies by where I'm at. It's kind of funny but definitely annoying - I can have my indicator on and the radio goes, 'hiss-hiss-hiss' in time with the flashers. Has anyone run into this before?

I'm trying to figure out how exterior bulbs could possibly affect radio reception, but am coming up blank...

Radio as in... FM? I rarely use mine :lol: But I do get some Ground Loop interference on my Aux input after installing my HID kit some times.

Definitely easy to interfere with regular radio waves, especially since our car's antenna is built into the body if I'm not mistaken. The Tapturn module signaling is probably generating energy at the same frequency of your radio station. Does it happen on all stations?

DonnyJagaru's suggestion sounds like an easy and cheap one. Did you ask the Tapturn and LED bulb guys? They might have run into this issue.

Archived