LegacyGT.com

Setting Up Aftermarket Subwoofers...

RiceKiller2.5GTL

I have a question for you all...I just purchased an '05 Legacy GTL w/out factory sub. The stock speakers sound fine to me and i am leaving the head unit alone (looks so nice and clean the way it is!), but i want more bass out of the system. I do not know what subs I am going with yet (possibly JL 12W7), but what would be the best way to set them up?? Would I have to get the wireing harness for the factory sub and tap into that? Also, since the harness comes from the stock headunit, i would still need to run 12volts from the battery to the the amp, correct? I just need to know where to get the input into the amp and the wireing harness is the only thing i can think of. Don't know where the remote could be hooked up to either...

The signal connection to the factory subwoofer simply "t" connects off the rear outputs of the head unit (parallel connection). It should be fairly straightforward to connect a line-output converter to those wires and run an aftermarket amplifier for your subwoofer (or a powered subwoofer).

That being said, this is kind of a cheesy way to go about it. Putting a powerful subwoofer in without upgrading the mids/highs or at least filtering them is like putting a fart can on a Honda Civic DX. It would be a better approach to use at least a four channel amp with a built in crossover (doesn't have to be big or expensive. This will allow you to power the front speakers more cleanly and filter low frequencies away from them for better performance. If you use one with good high-level input circuitry you won't even need the line output converter.

If you want to go all the way, look into a CleanSweep (do a search, plenty of info on this site) which will correct the ugly bass equalization in the factory head unit and provide clean signal to your aftermarket amplifier... it will also allow you to connect an iPod or any other stereo source to the system.

Good luck with your system.

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

I've been an incurable bass-head since the late 80s. However, I never sacrifice the highs to do it. If anything, cleaner highs makes the bass sound even better.

Follow Manville's advice and you'll be very happy with the results. Also be sure to read the CleanSweep thread so you can see what our stock head unit does to the bass frequencies at various volume levels - it's ugly.

Archived