LegacyGT.com

05 GT head removal procedure ?

What are the things covering your TGVs? Is it just East Coast cars that have all that corrosion and chalkiness going on? Mine doesn't/didn't look like that.

/QUOTE]

180,000 miles of good old NW Pa. Penndot salt.

:(

Did you read my link in my sig.

Most of what you need to do is in that. plus a valve or two.

Oh tighten all the gas line clamps too.[/quote)

Yes, and thank you now, I just need to start a list of all needed starting with an engine block and gasket set. So, many of the rubber hoses are rock hard not sure how to attack replacing so many.

Curious why change out engine block if the valve is the issue? Just because motor is out and prudent?

My mechanic believes our LGT has the same burned valve. He mentioned potentially replacing the rings and if need be pistons. Beyond the headwork I believe rings cost $500 if need be and then mentioned pistons cost $100/each. I guess close to $1600 for shortblock but that excludes labor.

He has 180,000 miles. The old rule was if you freshen up the top end on a old engine, the next weak link is the rings and they will go soon. Might as well do it right the first time.

I seem to recall most pistons like CP and Wiseco's come with rings.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Curious why change out engine block if the valve is the issue? Just because motor is out and prudent?

My mechanic believes our LGT has the same burned valve. He mentioned potentially replacing the rings and if need be pistons. Beyond the headwork I believe rings cost $500 if need be and then mentioned pistons cost $100/each. I guess close to $1600 for shortblock but that excludes labor.

Parts and labor could easily, reach the cost of a new block and a rebuild still would leave you using old parts.

Archived