LegacyGT.com

cheapest place to buy nokian wr's online

scubie02

Sorry I took so long to reply, my first reply was all ready to go and we had a simulated power outage…

Let’s see, my comparisons are based on a high performance fwd NA car that is set up damn near neutral… (Except the RE-92 part, it is based on other people’s comparisons)

Dry

Falken Azenis (old ones) 10

Toyo T1R 9

Nokian WR 7.5-8

RE-92 7

Hakk 2 4.5

Wet Performance

Toyo T1R 10

Nokian WR 9

RE-92 7

Falken Azenis (old ones after about 3K miles) 6.5-7

Hakk 2 5

Cold Pavement Performance (Air Temp under 20 deg F)

Nokian WR 10

RE-92 7

Hakk 2 6

Toyo T1R (Based on guesses from other summer tires driven at these conditions) 4

Falken Azenis (old ones, but see above) 4

Slush Performance

Nokian WR 10

Hakk 2 9

RE-92 (Based on last year’s comments) 6

Toyo T1R NR

Falken Azenis (old ones) NR

Plowed Snow Performance

Hakk 2 10

Nokian WR 9.5-10

RE-92 (Based on last year’s comments) 5.5-6

Toyo T1R NR

Fresh Snow Perf. < 4”

Hakk 2 10

Nokian WR 9-9.5

RE-92 (Based on last year’s comments) 5-5.5

Toyo T1R NR

Fresh Snow Perf. > 4”

Hakk 2 10

Nokian WR 9

RE-92 (Based on last year’s comments) 5

Toyo T1R NR

Ice Perf.(Only Studded tires would ever approach 10)

Hakk 2 6

Nokian WR 5

RE-92 (Based on last year’s comments) 2

Toyo T1R NR

Now, the comments. One winter on a summer tire (FWD) proved the value of a winter tire. I tried the Hakks on a friend’s car (that I drove roughly every other day through the beauty of car pooling), the WRs on mine. The cars were very similar. On snow and ice the Hakks will do slightly better. BUT, I never got stuck or out of control on the WRs, including 15” of unplowed snow over an inch of ice. (It was light snow though, not the wet stuff that would stop a tank) The Hakks are louder on pavement than the WRs, which are slightly louder than the Toyos. (or the RE-92s I am guessing) The WRs mainly pick up the strips on hwys more. In wet or dry(even when it is cold), there is no comparison. The WRs blow both the Hakks and the RE-92s away. If you run the Toyo at 10/10ths, the WR will get to about 8ish before predictably sliding. The Hakks would go to about 6 and the RE-92s 7. The WRs would transition to a predictable four wheel drift in the neutral fwd car. I actually enjoyed the slight decrease in ultimate grip, because it made for fun slides!:)

Ultimately, the WRs made winter less fun, because the car did wht I asked it to, instead of sliding around a little for some fun. Unless you live in an area where the winter includes unplowed snow 85% of the time, the WRs will be perfect…

Hope this helps!

Ted

CLIFF NOTES: WRs GOOD!

:spin:

and??

They are excellent in dry and wet/snow. I couldn't get the ABS to kick in with the WR's at all. Inversely, when I put my Proxes 4's on prematurely, I could get the ABS to kick in but not nearly as much as with RE92's.

The advantage I found with the WR's is that yes, they can be used year round if you really wanted to. So the wear on dry pavement isn't horrible like Blizzaks or other "Full time snow tires". In Chicago we primarily drive on dry/slushy ice roads. If it snow here 4 times to accumulate 6+ inches each time we are lucky. Occationally we will get a giant storm. I just didn't wanna be buying new snow tires every 3-4yrs (thats conservative).

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

I guess the answer to my original question is that there is a spectrum that goes from dry performance to snow/ice safety/performance, and everyone needs to decide for themseves where they want to be on that spectrum.

I can't really argue with praedet's ratings since I haven't driven on WR's. However, with true winter compounds, the Hakks should have more of an advantage on snow and ice than indicated. I just can't believe that the WR's are basically equal in those categories, as the ratings would indicate.

I don't think it's fair to diminish the relative value of the Hakks on ice by saying "only studded tires would ever approach a 10". That's like saying "only R-compound slicks would ever approach a 10" in the dry. Ice is one of the main reasons I want a dedicated winter tire, and stopping a few feet sooner might be the difference between crashing and not crashing.

It is true that snow tires need to be replaced every 3-4 years, conservatively. Five years on my first set of Hakk 1's was probably one year too many. They definitely wear out quicker than all-seasons.

Unlike praedet's experience, I found driving in Minnesota winters to be really fun with the Hakk 1's. I could still slide the car around in the snow all I wanted, but I could control it so well. It made me feel like a rally driver.

Very interested in the Nokian WRs.

How would they compare to Michelin PA2, Dunlop M3, Goodyear Ultra Grip GW-3 or other comparble "high performance" winter tire? Specfically looking for how they compare in ice traction.

• 2 weeks later...
For those in New England, Maynard & Lesieur in Nashua quoted me $168 ea. for a 215/45-17 Nokian WR's mounted and balanced. By contrast, Direct Tire in Natick quoted $229 ea not including mount and balance (*cough* ass rape *cough*).

For those in New England, Maynard & Lesieur in Nashua quoted me $168 ea. for a 215/45-17 Nokian WR's mounted and balanced. By contrast, Direct Tire in Natick quoted $229 ea not including mount and balance (*cough* ass rape *cough*).

good deal..

Archived