LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy GT Engine Question

Hi All.

New member looking for some input

I have a 05 legacy GT engine that has a rod knock. I also have an 05 legacy non turbo engine block that has a new crank and pistons. It is not a turbo block. My question is can I put the GT heads and turbo on the non turbo block or will I run into problem with the variable valve timing on the GT heads. The pistons look different. My concern is that the valves might hit the pistons when the VVT is adjusting the valve timing. Has anyone tried this and was it successful.

Any advice is appreciated

• 2 months later...

I do not know about interchanges between turbo and N/A but my advice would be to rebuild your short block. Then get your heads gone over just to be safe. that is just my opinion.

P.S. if you do find out you only need pistons Crawford performance sells new take outs b/c they put forged in every thing at $100 a set

Hi guys

I have a 2005 Legacy GT with turbo and the turbo just blew can I take the turbo out or just find a way to not having it I can't afford to replace my engine right now

thanks for reading

fng

Hi guys

I have a 2005 Legacy GT with turbo and the turbo just blew can I take the turbo out or just find a way to not having it I can't afford to replace my engine right now

thanks for reading

fng

Just unhook the intake and loop it to your exhaust bypassing the bad turbo. It's pretty easy.

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

I'm currently rebuilding my turbo ej255 aswell because of a spun rod bearing. What crankshafts are compatible with my engine? Would a regular legacy 2.5i crankshaft work?

Nope. You need the one for your car. What's wrong with your current one?

My crank just needs to be turned. My buddies are telling me to just do an STI crankshaft so I'm just trying to get some input.

Read the build threads where guys have put together their own shortblocks, or the ones where they've paid some random mechanic/machine shop to do it for them, and then read the threads where guys have used a new stock 255/257 --Which outcome do you want?

The STi crankshaft is about $275. A new SB from Heuberger Subaru, with gasket kit is $2081 and some change. To redo your engine rebuild will cost you well in excess of the 2k easy out; rebuilding your motor with a new crank, plus pistons, rods, bearings, machining, all that requires quite a bit more than the $2k easy out.

Seriously, just buy the new shortblock. There is no cheaper or easier way out.

Archived