LegacyGT.com

Rotors/Pads Recommendation for Daily Driver?

My big gripe about people cheaping out on brakes is that, next to good tires, they're the most important safety feature on the vehicle. They say they don't track the car, so don't need the stopping power. What do they say when that extra 20 feet of stopping distance is the difference between a safe stop and two totaled vehicles and possible injuries?

Do I need race car stopping power all the time? No, of course not. But, I prefer to have it there for the times that I do. ;-)

Sure, true.

That said most people would be find with some OEM replacement from autozone or the like. Anyone who is driving so fast as to need that 20 feet, over driving the streets.

Sure, true.

That said most people would be find with some OEM replacement from autozone or the like. Anyone who is driving so fast as to need that 20 feet, over driving the streets.

Not necessarily. I had a four year old run into the street in front of my car on a road with a 40 MPH speed limit just about 10 days ago. His mother should write EBC a thank you note. She was distracted getting money out of the ATM when her little dude pointed across the street and ran off the curb. I had plenty of lead time to stop, and didn't really even come close, but if circumstances had been different, those 20 feet could have saved his life.

Not necessarily. I had a four year old run into the street in front of my car on a road with a 40 MPH speed limit just about 10 days ago. His mother should write EBC a thank you note. She was distracted getting money out of the ATM when her little dude pointed across the street and ran off the curb. I had plenty of lead time to stop, and didn't really even come close, but if circumstances had been different, those 20 feet could have saved his life.

Uncle

I don't understand why people are giving the OP crap, I don't think it's justified at all. I buy from rockauto.com all the time because they have great prices and great customer service, just like amazon which was also mentioned.

you? You're giving up?

Yup. If people think OEM replacements mean the difference between a child dieing and not; can't fight that ignorance.

Everyone needs to be on a big brake kit with the stickiest of tires or there will be blood in the streets.:spin:

I don't understand why people are giving the OP crap, I don't think it's justified at all. I buy from rockauto.com all the time because they have great prices and great customer service, just like amazon which was also mentioned.

op asked what everyone is using. centric blanks with street pad is far and away leading contender. op wants quality parts, he says. then posts bottom of the barrel option from rock auto and asks for opinion.

op asked an open ? ignored all advice. then asked a orthogonal ? at which point it was assumed troll. troll baiting ensued.

if op was serious would have discussed results and backed up with ??? to a vendor.

I didn't know power stops were considered a bottom of the barrel option. They seem to get good reviews online.

They may get good reviews online, however, this was a LGT specific question on a LGT specific forum. The responses, so far, have been overwhelming centric rotors with street perf pads.

From PowerStop's website on their front page "Our philosophy is simple... replacement brakes should perform equal to or better than the OE parts." Last I checked, the number one braking performance increase for a 4th gen LGT is swapping the OEM pad for a street performance pad. So swapping in a OEM quality braking pad is going to improve performance how?

OP said "I definitely don't want to skimp out on the brakes". And number one braking performance increase came from what? upgraded pads. Number two braking performance increase comes from what? you guessed it, slightly better rotors.

I get you're trying to ease the trolling. I really do. However, when you ask an opinion on performance enhancing solution and get a number of them. Then ignore them and bring forth an OEM solution and ask about that, you pretty have to own that you were intent on wasting everyone's time. If OP's target was cheapest price brakes, that should have been the question.

BTW, I notice you don't have an opinion for OP. Perhaps you should put up, before commenting on the rest of the thread?

op asked what everyone is using. centric blanks with street pad is far and away leading contender. op wants quality parts, he says. then posts bottom of the barrel option from rock auto and asks for opinion.

op asked an open ? ignored all advice. then asked a orthogonal ? at which point it was assumed troll. troll baiting ensued.

if op was serious would have discussed results and backed up with ??? to a vendor.

:/ Went on a trip for the weekend. Didn't think I'd come back to this kind of idiocy.

See, this is why it's difficult to talk to ignorant people. If people have bothered to read my original post, I actually listed centric premium rotors. Here is a wild idea. When I listed the stuff from rock auto, maybe it's because someone mentioned the site, which led me there, and I'm just trying to understand the differences between the different rotors. I didn't say I was gonna buy them. I didn't even say I was remotely interested in them. I believe I actually asked: what's the difference between these 2 sets. I know it's my fault for not being clear, but I actually just wanted to know the differences. Instead of immediately getting to the judging, which I understand is very fun, maybe someone could have said, "PowerStop is crap because of reasons 1, 2, and 3". But all some people could say was, "go with what I said, just because. if you don't you are a loser, a troll".

and once again, not everyone is trying to "improve performance" on their car. OEM parts are sufficient. Or else someone would've sued Subaru a long time ago for killing children on the streets. The name of the website is called "Legacy Owners Association", not "Legacy Performance Upgrade Association". Wanting to know which rotors give the best bang for the buck, or wanting to know which rotors give OEM-level performance, is perfectly reasonable. I believe I did also say in my first post that I don't need the performance upgrade. It's my fault for not telling the whole story. I'm on icy/snowy road 6 months of the year. Having stellar brakes wouldn't do jack for me. My current set of rotors/pads are pretty much rusted out. I literally just need a OEM-level replacement.

By the way, if anyone here thinks that it's the rotors and pads stopping your car whenever you brake, then I'm afraid you gotta go back and retake some junior high science class. The only thing stopping your car is the friction between the road and your tires. You could have the best brakes in the world, and it just straight up stops your tire rotation cold whenever you step on them. But all you would end up doing is engaging the anti-lock. And you would be stopping no faster than with regular brakes. The best way to be safe is to drive slow and drive careful. Getting performance brakes just so you can go fast and stop fast is actually the exact opposite of being safe.

I could tell you that I contacted a handful of vendors the same time I posted the thread. I could tell you that I've been asking them for quotes and questions, particularly since I live in a snowy area and want to get something that's rust resistant. I could also tell you that I am just about to settle on a purchase with a vendor. But no, I couldn't give a rat's ass about if you think I'm a troll. I just hope, again, for the children's sake, that you drive slow.

Consider getting blank rotors from raceshopper.com Good quality and good price. I would just get a nice set (not the cheapest ones) of pads from a local auto parts store for a DD.

If you want a little more, go with Carbotech Bobcats. Low dusting, easy on the rotors, good grab when cold, etc.

Also, please read this post I put on another forum about how to make your brakes last:

http://www.3si.org/forum/f41/warped-rotors-483107/

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

Could someone please post the part number of the Hawks HPS Ceramic pads for a 05 Legacy 2.5GT?

I've been reading several post's about brake pads, and im starting to like Hawks pads, but i want to be sure that i found the ones that fit my car and havent found that info yet.

• 4 months later...

Hawk Performance - Performance Ceramic Brake Pads

Hawk Part # HB533Z.668 & HB434Z.543

These pads fit the following vehicle:

2005-2006 SUBARU LEGACY GT - 2.5L - Complete Front & Rear Pad Sets

• 7 months later...

I ran Centric Pro rotors and Hawk HPS+ on my 08 and actually strongly disliked them. I had a lot of dusting, the rotors would easily glaze over...

Went back to OEM and felt like a better all around performance. I can't attest to stopping power, because quite frankly, it's a Stg 2 and I have the grimmspeed MCL bracket installed.

However... I'm back looking for new pads and rotors and before i drop 3 dimes on that old setup again or even OEM, I'm doing my research. I read an old thread by Rao who claims Autospeciality X pads were baws...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/05-legacy-gt-autospecialty-xp-rotors-and-pads-and-hawk-129094.html

Anyone want to chime in? I feel like the dudes who have gone from spending hundreds of $ in brake shit in vain and gone back to standard stuff can attest to the inflated market and egos.

Archived