LegacyGT.com

95 Impreza w/ 2.5rs Swap opinions needed

Found a very nice concept car for a project. It is a 95 Impreza Coupe with a 2.5rs engine swapped in. It is also a 5 speed. I guess the engine had about 50k miles, the headgaskets were replaced and a rear link suspension upgrade..not sure about that. It does need a paint job real bad but rust does not look too bad. The car does not currently run though. He says he either fried the ECU or it just needs the 2.5 ECU with the harness. Which I thought, why wouldn't you have them if your trying to swap in a 2.5rs engine?

Anyways, he is asking $650 firm. It seems like a gamble with it not running. Fuel but no spark which could be soo many different things. Really would enjoy wrenching on this baby and bringing it back to life like it deserves.

Here is the link with pictures. http://williamsport.craigslist.org/cto/4358415788.html

Any opinions are greatly appreciated! thanks! I am 50/50 about buying it. :)

Did he ever have it running?

Harness can be pricey- if serious about buying, I would look into the price of the harness and ECU first if I were you.

I don't think he ever did. I saw the car, but have yet to talk to him in person to ask questions. I think tomorrow I am going over so we'll see. Seen so many awesome projects with these older Imprezas and I really want to try one! Thanks for the info about the harness. I might have to wait to find another, which takes forever and ever, unless I can work the price lower.

Buy the car if you can afford it. Thats a cheap entry price to a easy swap car. Plus OBD1.

The 95 has a bulk head sub harness so you will be able to un-connect that and merge the vast majority of the wires without hacking up the stock Harness. If you mess up buy another sub harness and try again.

EG33

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag47/boxerwerks/Project%20Six%20Pack/IMG_20131017_221427_zps588ad562.jpg

The RS 2.5 forums have a few EG33 swap threads- unfourtanately one of the bigger supporters of the swap died in a tragic motorcycle accident not too long ago.

But there is a lot of info out there for it, and very rewarding. Most of your engine and harness parts are going to come from an SVX- and sometimes you can pick one of those up pretty cheap. The EG33 is a dead reliable motor- it was the weak auto transmissions that came in the SVX you want to avoid like the plague.

It will be a large scale project. I think one of the bigger headaches is making room for the bigger radiator and supporting fans........

Finally got to look the car over good. Doesn't look in too bad of condition. Of course I am trying to be on the positive side here..The worst part was the guy's driveway was complete mud. Right after I washed my Legacy at the car wash too haha but it was worth it for the fun! The underbody was kind of hard to see. I was surprised with not too much fender rust, but there were some pretty large rust holes under the rear! Pictures are attached along with a few others I took. Looks like a decent amount of work..I still don't know what to do yet. Interior all has to go also. Tires were all shot and flat. Must of been sitting there a while. Really want one of these oldies but I might have to pass. The more opinions the better!

I would skip it.The rust is pretty bad from what I can see.I had a 99 and the quarter rust starts on the inside and eats its way out.I fixed my quarters and after cutting out the bad parts it was a nightmare to fix.Nothing to weld to on the inside.Find a 97 or newer with the newer front end.Mine had the 2.2l and with a little work ran like a raped ape.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived