LegacyGT.com

#2 0f 10 cars most likely to go 200,000 miles

Consumer reports has their heads so far up their asses you cannot see their hands. No Subaru would ever make 200K without at least one set of head gaskets. If it did they'd be pissing oil as fast as you could pour it in.

Any frkn car will make 200k as long as you keep it running and do regular maintenance, most domestic car owners will not maintain an vehicle properly. Most import owners do, in fact they over maintain them.

most domestic car owners will not maintain an vehicle properly. Most import owners do, in fact they over maintain them.

I am pretty skeptical of this claim. I would guess there is no correlation between import and domestic owner vs maintenance.

Consumer reports has their heads so far up their asses you cannot see their hands. No Subaru would ever make 200K without at least one set of head gaskets. If it did they'd be pissing oil as fast as you could pour it in.

Any frkn car will make 200k as long as you keep it running and do regular maintenance, most domestic car owners will not maintain an vehicle properly. Most import owners do, in fact they over maintain them.

Mine as none of the issues you speak of. :)

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Consider high depreciation cost of the new car also.

Per consumer report, "it is almost always less expensive to hang on to your current car than to buy a new one. Even the most-expensive repair bills for an old car can't outweigh the cost of depreciation on a new one."

source: What that car really costs to own

Consumer Reports statement is a little misleading. They are using the cost of 1 year vehicle as being buying a car for 1 year & trading it in. Absorbing the sales tax, local taxes, higher insurance rates & comparing it to the one year repair bill.

Most people don't keep a new car for just one year. Consumer reports claims most people keep new cars for 5 or 8 years. The cost of keeping a 9th year should compared to the average cost of keeping a car 8 years not 1 year.

Consider high depreciation cost of the new car also.

Per consumer report, "it is almost always less expensive to hang on to your current car than to buy a new one. Even the most-expensive repair bills for an old car can't outweigh the cost of depreciation on a new one."

source: What that car really costs to own

This is a purely financial argument that does not take in account just getting sick of a car and wanting something new. :redface:

Repair bills start getting really ugly with high mileage to where I personally don't think it's worth it. Especially when talking cars that are over 8 years old.

If it came down to a $3000 repair bill or a down payment on a CPO with low mileage and 100k warranty I'll go with the CPO.

Buying a car you can comfortably afford and paying it off faster is the better option for me.

• 2 weeks later...
The list of cars seems to be less performance oriented with basic drivetrains. I'm sure some cars don't make it because the drivers are less cautious and then you have high risk cars, vettes, SUVs, jeeps, etc. Many of those appear to be business/highway cars that get light use.

34k more to hit 200k for 05 Lgt 5mt wagon.

I spent close to $1.5k in last repairing last year but it was flawless before.

repairs:

wheel bearing

valve cover gasket

ignition coil

caliper

alternator

starter

Yeah, something breaks on my Legacy GT every week. Today one of the tires exploded while I was doin 70 in the left lane. I'll be lucky to make it to 140k.

Tires isn't usually what the failure is in cars making it to 200K....but could be in the case of a blow out. Glad you are okay. That could have been tragic. The article is probably focused at engine, tranny and other mechanical defects/failure....not tires.

Tires isn't usually what the failure is in cars making it to 200K....but could be in the case of a blow out. Glad you are okay. That could have been tragic. The article is probably focused at engine, tranny and other mechanical defects/failure....not tires.

Thanks. I'm glad I'm okay too. I would agree. I didn't spend $7k in tires. Probably more like $900, all due to tires that exploded or went flat.

Most of what I spent has been on the transmission. Ever since the stock transmission failed this car has been in the shop just about every month. I bought a used transmission with fewer miles than my own and it had the same rear main seal failure, despite the seal being new, and now it needs $1300 to fix a bad synchro. This of course happened after the warranty expired. I've done routine maintenance like the timing belt, clutch, clutch slave and master cylinders. Somehow, the new timing belt tensioners failed. That was almost a disaster and a decent repair. I've replaced two brake calipers that heat cycled enough times to require that they be cut off. And my rear door handle broke off last summer. If I hadn't had 2 Legacies before this I would not have ordered a WRX. Hopefully I will have better luck.

Thanks. I'm glad I'm okay too. I would agree. I didn't spend $7k in tires. Probably more like $900, all due to tires that exploded or went flat.

Most of what I spent has been on the transmission. Ever since the stock transmission failed this car has been in the shop just about every month. I bought a used transmission with fewer miles than my own and it had the same rear main seal failure, despite the seal being new, and now it needs $1300 to fix a bad synchro. This of course happened after the warranty expired. I've done routine maintenance like the timing belt, clutch, clutch slave and master cylinders. Somehow, the new timing belt tensioners failed. That was almost a disaster and a decent repair. I've replaced two brake calipers that heat cycled enough times to require that they be cut off. And my rear door handle broke off last summer. If I hadn't had 2 Legacies before this I would not have ordered a WRX. Hopefully I will have better luck.

. I hear you. Age and miles take their toll on metal parts, plastic and seals. I thought the auto manufacturers solved the oil leaks...but found different after the sons past two used cars. Very disappointing. The most recent has multiple leaks. Both also had minor mechanical issues. :)

Yeah, something breaks on my Legacy GT every week. Today one of the tires exploded while I was doin 70 in the left lane. I'll be lucky to make it to 140k.

This might be why they discontinued the Eagle GT after only a couple years. I had tread separation on 3 of my 4 tires. Looked like someone took a razor blade to the sidewalls. Replaced the Eagle GTs with Dunlop SP Sport Signatures, IMO the SP SS are a better all around tire. No problems with them, they are sitting in my basement on stock wheels. Bought a set of '08 WRX wheels with Conti DWS on them.

I dropped $1800 soon after buying my car for a new water pump,timing belts and a few other things. Most of the issues I've had are age related, nothing too major. Think I need new front wheel bearings.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Wow! That is impressive. Although, putting that many miles on in a short period of time is unusual and probably constituted a lot of HW miles. That is probably a different path than the usual to 200K.

Still, that is damn impressive.

You are correct. I drove about 60,000 miles a year, and it was a lot of highway, but that car was also crossing the continental divide probably an average of 4 times a week. It was a company car, so I abused the shit out of it. Rough dirt roads and mining roads. Anything in my way I went through. Because as one of my old vendors once said: "What's the difference between a company car and an SUV? You can take a company car anywhere!"

Archived