LegacyGT.com

Legacy Outback headers exhaust

Hey guys, I was wondering if you knew of any decent uel headers that fit a 98 Leg Ob other than Borla and no-name ebay pieces. IS there anything else? Is it possible to use stock WRX (or other H4 turbo) exhaust manifold?

As for exhaust, what is the typical "best" size exhaust for these engines? 2" 2.25" 2.5"? I know there is a "too big", just not sure what that is for this 2.5 H4.

I think the plan is to most likely keep both cats as is, and just replace the headers with uel and (most likely) 2.25" catback with decent resonator and stock Wrx muffler. Should be enough flow, sound "subie" enough, and still be pretty quiet.

is there a reason you are trying to trailblaze with all of your mods?

why not stick with what works, like for example the Speedyracer UELs, or the Borlas...if anything else were more effective, you probably wouldnt have to ask the question.

there is no physical way to mate a turbo manifold to these N/A motors

if youre staying with stock motor internals, 2 or 2.25" is the biggest you should be running, (stock is 1 7/8")

and yeah, no need to mess with cats, i had an 18" resonator from Vibrant and was pretty pleased on the cut down of the raspiness..

but the WRX muffler is almost exactly the same sounding as the stock legacy muffler, youre better off with almost anything else if you want noticeable sound, even if youre shooting for subtle.. the wrx muffler is a waste of money

I see the weirdness Zues is seeing, but that's because you haven't quite done enough research into exhaust systems and we're not quite sure what your after.

--

The first thing I am going to say, is, that unless you are attempting to drop an NA engine that makes much more than stock levels of power, that debating on what flows best / what makes the most power is the most pointless thing you can do. Our motors in stock form don't flow enough air, to the point that the difference is going to be so negligible.

--

For a stock motor, 2.25" piping from the headers back is optimal if your running headers and are catless. If you're still running both cats, you can get away with a 2.5" catback with a muffler that isn't too free flowing, but you may lose some part-throttle power but gain throttle response. Back pressure is what determines the loudness of an exhaust system. The quieter the muffler, the more the restriction. So, all of that said, I would not run a 2.5" exhaust unless you are looking to make a lot of power.

--

Now, your idea might help you make a bit more power, but it will mostly give you a tiny bit of rumble. The stock WRX catback make very little discernible difference in loudness compared to the stock exhaust.

If you're looking for the rumble, and a bit more noise so you can hear it, go with this setup:

- Speedyracer UEL header

- Keep BOTH of the cats and the stock cat-pipe

- 2.0" - 2.25" piping all the way to the muffler

- Use a universal Dynamax muffler

--

This brings me to my question.. What EXACTLY are you looking to achieve from adding an exhaust system to you car?

I only run 2.5" in my car right now and i'm turboed. If you run 2.5" N/A its going to be louder then hell. Turbo headers are just going to give you more headaches as well. You will have to make lots of custom pieces to get those to work out. Not worth it. Just get a good set of UEL's for N/A and do 2 inch exhaust back. It will be rumbly without being so loud that the cops will be looking for you everywhere you go.

Just do what Kenny said for a good sound profile.

Thanks. All I had read about so far was just Borla, and no-name ebay borla knock offs. Will start looking into Speedyracer's. 99-05 Impreza Rs 2.5 sohc headers? Def plan on keep the whole catalytic section stock and in place. So 2 or 2.25" max on the catback?

Hopefully the Speedyracer uel, (stock cat section) and 2.25" catback with good resonator and stock Sti muffler will be exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks again for Speedyracer, had no idea they existed lol

yeah these are the ones

those bastards gave me 6 bolts (only need 2) and only 2 of the three gaskets that are needed tho...

i would recommend getting some heat wrap (50'x2" is just enough) it will help dampen the lifter tick noise caused by the thinner then OEM header walls

That's strange... Mine came with gaskets and bolts. OE bolts are better though.

Also, yeah, the welds look kinda meh, but they're not bad. Not a single person has had a single issue so far. And, since we're NA, if the welds flake apart any it wouldn't matter because there's no turbo to destroy.

• 1 month later...
ive got my eye on two of those suckers, both the 95 L ej22 and the96 GT ej25. if i could only stop spending money on frivolous stuff. like kids clothes, kids lunch money, etc...

any suggestions on a single port header supplier? Totally dig your lightbar zues

Build your own. There is a guy over on 2.5rs that was building them and selling them on eBay but they were 300+ if I remember right.

Sent from my LG-D800

Archived