LegacyGT.com

Timing belt broke w/complications... What to do?

More updates. Not too good.

Dealer says they misquoted me on engine prices, forgetting labor. So add $900 to any engine choice. The base 2.0 is $2810 plus tax, etc...

They got into the engine and found the valves are bent. Not sure how to proceed from here. Their fear is that the heads will be cracked and what is the best use of our money... So, rob-2, I'm thinking that engine replacement might be back on the table or... ask a couple grand for a non working Legacy.... argh...

How bad does a valve have to bend to damage the head ?

We had a Honda race head that had a number of bent valves, broken valves, valves stuck into thead, damage done to it and it kept getting repaired and used.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I know you guys are right. It should be a straight forward fix, but I am feeling like a friggin ping pong ball with the dealership trying to push a new engine...

I did find a local mechanic with lots of Subaru knowledge who will put in a new engine for me for $500. I also found a used 2.5i engine with 22k miles on it and new headgaskets and crank seals that the seller (Subie Auto Sales & Parts LLC) assures me is like new and has a 6 month warranty and is $1900. Shipping is $175 each way since it is in Mississippi and I am in Idaho. He said I will have less work to do swapping this one out as well. I guess there are more parts included (I'm ignorant about that kind of stuff though).

That would put me in the $2750 range for a replaced engine that would also solve my oil burning problems.

Can I then say my engine has 22k miles after this??

I know you guys are right. It should be a straight forward fix, but I am feeling like a friggin ping pong ball with the dealership trying to push a new engine...

I did find a local mechanic with lots of Subaru knowledge who will put in a new engine for me for $500. I also found a used 2.5i engine with 22k miles on it and new headgaskets and crank seals that the seller (Subie Auto Sales & Parts LLC) assures me is like new and has a 6 month warranty and is $1900. Shipping is $175 each way since it is in Mississippi and I am in Idaho. He said I will have less work to do swapping this one out as well. I guess there are more parts included (I'm ignorant about that kind of stuff though).

That would put me in the $2750 range for a replaced engine that would also solve my oil burning problems.

Can I then say my engine has 22k miles after this??

Yes you can. Body and motor different amounts after a swap.

I say not much of my 2005 wagon has 186,000+ miles on it. short block has 32k, vf52 has 44k, Tranny has 15k, read diff has 84k.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Ok! I think I found the solution for me. Please tell me what you think:

Called a local (like 5 miles away kinda local) engine shop that I would bet $100 that the dealership was using.

For a 2.5L engine, they want $1995 (70k miles) used, not rebuilt.

Dealership said $3100

For a 2.0L Japanese engine (50k miles) used, they want $995.

Dealership said $1800

The engine shop can do the install. Dealer said $900 for the install plus $300 for misc parts....

Installation is $753.50, gaskets, timing belt, fluids, etc is $250.

6% tax (I love Idaho) on parts only.

Total, out the door price = $2,073.00

Only minor concern is a 2.0L instead of 2.5L, but they said they have literally sold hundreds of these engines with zero complaints. I guess they are sold in Japan but not stateside.

How much do you think that would affect the value of my car? I ask because I may actually sell it to someone I know, who is aware of all of this.

The book value of my car jumped up between $8100 and $9200 with a 50K motor, but that is a 2.5L not a 2.0. How much of a deduction should I take on this situation?

Tear it down and see whats damaged first.

Why buy a used unknown history engine when you may be able to save and repair yours.

Tear it down and go from there

Totally get where you're coming from. I was looking at a potential $2500 in tear down and repair vs this - and it repairs my oil leaks too.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Archived