LegacyGT.com

Buying advice from the experts

I am hoping to get some advice from everyone on here. Currently I drive a B7 Audi A4 quattro but thinking about switching to something different. I have been wanting a wagon for some time now, and the LGT wagon caught my eye. I found one about 3 hours away from me that seems like a good deal. It has about 106,000 miles on it, so that is the one thing that worries me.

My last 2 cars, including my Audi, have been manual so I am not dead set on having a manual wagon.

I hate to trade my perfectly good car in for something that is going to give me problems...

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Here is a link to the car.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=132387369&listingRecNum=8&criteria=feedSegId%3D28705%26rpp%3D50%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26requestorTrackingInfo%3DRTB_SEARCH%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26stkTypId%3D28881%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26rn%3D0%26zc%3D46845%26rd%3D200%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice%26bsId%3D20216%26mdId%3D21378%26stkTyp%3DU%26mkId%3D20041%26prMn%3D0%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMx%3D14000&aff=national&listType=1

You'll want a compression check done, a good test drive to see if the tranny slips and personally I'd be careful to buy it without some warranty.

Around this mileage turbo's go. Tranny has just entered the window where it might start slipping.

I also noticed rusted calipers. Not sure if that's normal where you are. Mine aren't.

That's not to bad, it's a limited GT.

Get a warranty with it.

The timing belt is due at 105,000 miles, was it done ?

Ask about the turbo, has it been replaced ? a good answer is no. If it has ask why and what what damage to the short block was done when the turbo blew.

Plan on replacing the the OEM turbo around 120,-130,000 miles.

If you buy it, check the oil often and keep it top off, never let it get low.

There are a few things you'll want to do after you get, like get the car off the factory MAP, it has a flaw that will cause burnt valves.

Ask if the o-ring's between the intake and TGV's have been replaced with the new orange ones.

If you keep up with the maintenance these are great cars with great aftermarket support and can make good WHP with little money spent.

All the info is on here to do it right the first time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Don't worry about rusty rotors, my Spec B has rusty rotors because I don't drive it much. 1400 miles in the last 6 month's. The brakes work great.

rob would know more about 5eat, I don't do them...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

fair warning: you can get nickel and dimed to death on maintenance for these if it wasn't kept up with. and if you have any interest in modding these cars, god help you.

Since 105k I have replaced valve cover gaskets, both CV boots, cv/trans seals, all front suspension bushings, timing belt, motor mounts, leaky power steering pump, rack will need replacing soon and the previous owner did the clutch. if I wasn't doing my own work that would add up. I also got mine for $8700 with 105K w/ zero mods so I knew I would have some deferred maintenance.

Its also the funnest car I have ever owned.

I also expect my engine to blow, and be rebuilt, stronger.

Byron was thinking of the caliper itself.

http://www.cstatic-images.com/phototab/DMI/18343/CI1534A/05.jpg

Right Rob, after I posted that I realize what you said, but that's just surface rust. Or may be some old gold paint.

Archived