LegacyGT.com

Auto toggles on steering wheel?

devobuzz

Hi all, I asked the salesman if you can shift the auto trans with switches on the steering wheel but he didn't know. I saw in the picture that the gear selection lever has a + and - for the sport shift but is there something on the steering wheel? The brochure also states there is a sport mode which I assume raises the auto's shift points, but how do you engage that mode? Thanks, Ralph

To get the car into Sport Shift Mode, move the gear selector from D across into + - range. Information will also appear in the middle of the dash indicating what gear you are in once you have selected Sports Shift Mode. And yes there are buttons on each side of the steering wheel for both + & - gear changes.

Once you slide the gear selector over it will remain in Auto sport mode until you select + or - on either the steering wheel or gear selector at which point it becomes totally manual gear selection. If you want to go back to auto mode you would have to slide the gear selector over to drive and back if you want auto sport mode again.

I thought I remembered a review of the Legacy that said you could use the "+" and "-" buttons even in auto mode if you wanted to force an upshift or downshift before the computer decided. Also, it would then return to auto mode after a period of time. Could be another review though..

[quote name='eamiller']I thought I remembered a review of the Legacy that said you could use the "+" and "-" buttons even in auto mode if you wanted to force an upshift or downshift before the computer decided. Also, it would then return to auto mode after a period of time. Could be another review though..[/quote] Yup, your memory isn't failing you, it works that way as well. Biggest problem, IMO, is that when you are out of practice shifting gears, you forget to hit the button and can end up with very high revs very quickly in the Legacy.

[quote name='Sub-attraction']Once you slide the gear selector over it will remain in Auto sport mode until you select + or - on either the steering wheel or gear selector at which point it becomes totally manual gear selection. [/quote] Hoo boy did that get me in trouble on my drive home from the dealer, I thought they were stereo controls (durrr, bonehead move, but I was _extremely_ nervous getting used to not seeing the guy's headlights behind me at stop lights). What's "auto sport mode"? Does it just change the shift points up so that you can free-rev the car around corners after braking? If so, that'd solve one of my major gripes with it, the sluggish turn exits.

Archived