LegacyGT.com

Tire shaving in Charleston SC?

LocalHero

I haven't been here on the forum for a few years but I come back asking for more help. I just got sidewall damage to one of my tires from some kind of nail or staple. The tires are Michelins that probably have about half their 60,000 mi life left in them. I've learned that I can't put a mismatched tire on there without screwing up the transmission and I'm not keen on buying 4 new tires for a car that I probably won't keep through the life of the tires.

Someone mentioned that I could have a tire shaved to match the others. I don't know if this is feasible, but does anyone know anyplace around here that could/would shave a tire?

I've also run across a mix of opinions as to whether it would be ok to get a used tire with similar wear but of different brand (or at least model) to replace the one bad one. If that's true, how would I determine what would be an acceptable size match? Just measuring circumference? Tread depth?

Thanks,

John

I've never understood why people would buy a new tire, then essentially throw part of it away. Just put all new tires on. If they are at a point where a replacement needs it's diameter reduced, then just replace them all. I'm sure one of those "Po boys" would buy the old ones...

And new tires will be a selling point for the car....

I've never understood why people would buy a new tire, then essentially throw part of it away. Just put all new tires on. If they are at a point where a replacement needs it's diameter reduced, then just replace them all. I'm sure one of those "Po boys" would buy the old ones...

And new tires will be a selling point for the car....

There's logic both ways but the immediate math is compelling. ~$150 per tire = $600 for a set vs $175 - $185 for a shaved tire. I realize I could sell the other 3 but what will I get for my time... $60 if I'm lucky?

or goto a used tire shop and buy one used tire. reality you get 3% of diameter to play with before there's a problem.

I gather it should be a make/model match? If I do have one used mismatched make/model, is it better on front or rear?

Also, how do I tell if it's within 3%? Diameter with a tape measure?

Thanks,

John

doesn't have to be, however, it probably should be. Curious why you didn't have it replaced under the tire warranty?

How did you judge the tires are halway thru their life? by miles or by tread depth?

BTW, a quick search on google says lots of tire shops with potentially used tires for sale. An actual used tire shop has much less standards than a retail store. They will mount anything that holds air on any rim that will hold a bead. Might be able to find a used michelin and put that on for less than shaving a tire, which voids the warranty.

doesn't have to be, however, it probably should be. Curious why you didn't have it replaced under the tire warranty?

How did you judge the tires are halway thru their life? by miles or by tread depth?

BTW, a quick search on google says lots of tire shops with potentially used tires for sale. An actual used tire shop has much less standards than a retail store. They will mount anything that holds air on any rim that will hold a bead. Might be able to find a used michelin and put that on for less than shaving a tire, which voids the warranty.

Originally bought at Costco and the road hazard part of the warranty says 60 months. It's been about 68 months since purchase... I should check though and see what they say.

I was just guessing about the half life. Here in Charleston where everything is pretty flat and straight, tires tend to last as long as they're supposed to. Still I do have more miles on these than I thought I do (nearly 40k) so I guess the first step will to be get a tire gauge and check them.

I'll look for a used tire shop this weekend if I get the time. I called Tire Rack and it's $172 for a shaved tire shipped to my door. I called a couple of tire places around here and they said they've never heard of shaving a tire.

The used tire (if I can find one) probably makes the most sense.

Archived