LegacyGT.com

License plate light bulb replacement

Hi,

tried to replace the light bulb in one of the license plate lights. I had assumed the lens was held in place by a screw, but that's not the case. I tried to figure out how to access he bulb and have had no luck. Any thoughts on his?

Thanks,

You remove them from inside the trunk area. I forget if have to remove the whole trunk mat/trim piece, or if you can just remove some of the trim clips and reach your hand in there and twist the bulb socket out. The pictures/links should give you a general idea though.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2667925&postcount=6

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/license-plate-bulb-removal-replacement-33919.html

li27.thumb.jpg.c918effc0fb1f39d390d094495ca00ed.jpg

el70.thumb.jpg.12f5cf390ff414a541beae7fb158e3a2.jpg

• 3 years later...
...the bulb doesn't want to come out of the socket. It's easy enough from the outside on a wagon to unscrew the plastic lens, then pull the housing out and access the bulb. But it doesn't pop out of the socket by just pulling it straight out. a gentle twist doesn't work either. it wiggles a bit laterally, and in and out also, so I don't think it is seized with age.I don't want to shatter it by forcing it. anybody know how to unplug the bulb itself?

Snap the bulb and pull out rest of glass and filament with pliers. If it doesn't come out with pliers and a probing screw driver, it's shot so bad you need to solder in a new socket.

I may end up doing that. The search didn't give a clear answer, but leant toward twist it counterclockwise rather than just pull straight out. It doesn't come out with counterclockwise rotation while pulling, or with pushing.

I cannot recall if the bulb is a 194 looking thing or 921, but those pull straight out. Then again, the socket replscement is only like $20 i think if you have to solder new one in there.

Can't tell you how many times I have had to pop the bulbs to get mine out of other cars. If they don't come out, they're usually burnt in there haha.

I have to replace mine too.. I've seen other cars on the road with the flickering cheap LED's mine fell victim as well.. it was pretty funny looked like a light show until I taped the rear trunk and it stopped..

I think I had 168's in but I picked up some 192's I found the 5 LED one I had I found was a little too bright.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived