LegacyGT.com

Scratched bumper

Hi,

I scratched the bumper on my '06 Outback (silver metal/dark silver bumper color combo), and am looking for advice on what to do. The scratches are not deep and there are no cracks or structural damage, but they look bad because the plastic under the paint is light gray. Any advice on what to do? Can I paint these locally (spray paint, nailpolish-like applicator) or will I need to paint the whole bumper?

Thanks for any guidance/advice,

Kriss

Ignore it. You have an 8 year old car and live in DC :lol:

That's my initial reaction, yes, but every time I approach the car I see this stupid scratch - otherwise the car is in a very good condition. I am considering just trying to paint it locally and not worry about any unevenness of the scratched surface just to take away the daily shudder this provokes in me :)

If it has gone through the paint then the scratch is as deep as it gets. ;) Avoiding a gouge in the body is a good thing though. You could just touch it up and be done, but definitely do not use a rattle can. SCASEYS is spot on with drcolorchip. It is an outstanding way to repair scratches.

The idea is that you are using real body shop paint, but instead of blocking the area and airbrushing and all that, you are just mushing the paint into the scratch and wiping off anything that overlaps the undamaged areas. Alternatively you could just be very careful and paint in the scratch a couple times till it has built up above the undamaged areas, sand it down with varying levels of grit, and then polish it up with a machine to make it pretty much vanish, but the drcolorchip way is much much much (did I mention much?) faster. The end results are the same. I've been using the system for a couple years on various projects and it has worked out amazing. Everybody should have a bottle of their body matched paint and the drcolorchip solvent on their shelf IMHO.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived