LegacyGT.com

is it worth it?

im at a crossroads with my car. 96 legy L. i gotta say like the body style. but other then the body everythings gotta go i need more power. i would love to do a full sti swap but is it worth it? im thinking it might be, the body and frame are in great shape no rust at all (odd for a north east car). but i could use another opinion. maby confirm my crazy or help slap it out my head. pics just to give you an idea of what im working with.

745410843_nightshot.thumb.jpg.581fe183a79b42ae21ffb1a0c7857b36.jpg

2086744141_upandabove.thumb.jpg.d3ab66683b4f3d9161dba41dce3b69f6.jpg

im a firm believer that if you like the body style of a car, and dont mind the cost, its always worth it to make it what you want it to be. if you like the sti looks, interior and style and could be happy with it as-is, then go for it. if you like the 2nd gen legacy style and can make it sti fast and keep the look/ feel you like about the legacy, thats your answer. its all up to what youre willing to sacrifice. personally, i like the legacy over the sti. but ill eventually work up a good swap for one of mine to get a faster car to play with.

then i got one more question? where on earth do you find a wrecked wrx/sti? ima make this thing bad ass......... it will take a while but it will get thier eventualy....

The internet. Good luck. Hit all the forums, craigslist, ebay, junkyards, FB groups. You'll find one eventually. A buddy of mine bought the front half of a JDM wrx on ebay and swapped that into his 96 OB.

IMG_20140209_111924.jpg

IMG_20140209_113046.jpg

Don't.

Do.

Copart.

I tried that and it was a complete money trap!! First I had to find a guy that had a buyer license and use him to bid on the live auction for a Blob eye that I wanted. I priced how much it be to fix and how much it was worth with the Milage. I'd bid then get out bid, I'd bid again then get out bid...finally I reached what the car was actually worth (2,500) and the other guy (same user) was trying to "blow me up" with more bids. I stopped bidding and he did to. Right at the past 20 seconds I bid one more time and he out bid me again. The guy I was using to bid for me told me that some of the cars are on a consignment at CoPart and the owners of the wrecks might be bidding as well on their OWN cars to make it lookie they are in high demand. Well, the stupid part is if they "win" their own car and don't come pick it up its a 120.00 penalty on default of not caughing up the cash. I ended up buying a car on Craig's List for 800.00 it was a way better and less shark-like atmosphere. F-Copart.

im a firm believer that if you like the body style of a car, and dont mind the cost, its always worth it to make it what you want it to be. if you like the sti looks, interior and style and could be happy with it as-is, then go for it. if you like the 2nd gen legacy style and can make it sti fast and keep the look/ feel you like about the legacy, thats your answer. its all up to what youre willing to sacrifice. personally, i like the legacy over the sti. but ill eventually work up a good swap for one of mine to get a faster car to play with.

^^^ This! I one hundred percent agree with this. The second gen Legacy is by far better looking than most of the cars out on the road today. It has incredible build-ability and the JDM aftermarket stuff for her is epic! It's like building a great sleeper type of street car IMO. The Legacy is my personal fave in a ton of ways.

well damn...

one of my buddies used it without any problems a few months ago..he didnt use a broker tho

What type of car did he bid on? I could have easily won any other undesirable car out there. But that WRX was like a pipe dream. I also saw a STI and a couple of SC300's. I guess you just have to get lucky. I was getting F-ed. Don't use an internet auction there are a ton of ways to "cheat" a perspective buyer.

Try the other auctions where you have to show up in person.

What type of car did he bid on? I could have easily won any other undesirable car out there. But that WRX was like a pipe dream. I also saw a STI and a couple of SC300's. I guess you just have to get lucky. I was getting F-ed. Don't use an internet auction there are a ton of ways to "cheat" a perspective buyer.

Try the other auctions where you have to show up in person.

One of the Coparts yards is only 30 miles from my house. I was thinking about trying to swing by and do it in person. I'm not a fan of internet auctions. I don't even bid on ebay, if it isn't buy it now then I pass.

IAA AUCTIONS are better than Coparts. They actually hold private auctions with the actual bidders there in person. I hear that's a way better deal. They are national and should be just about everywhere as well as Copart.

Blank, Copart auctions ARE internet auctions. You can go in person to see the cars before the Wednesday Auction starts online to make notes but that's about it.

Ive been watching that. Other than the power steering shaft being on the other side I was wondering about if it would work on ours. The clearance of the TMIC to our power steering unit I would think would warrant a USDM TMIC. It looks like it would be awesome. Heck $2400 is a great buy.

Ive been watching that. Other than the power steering shaft being on the other side I was wondering about if it would work on ours. The clearance of the TMIC to our power steering unit I would think would warrant a USDM TMIC. It looks like it would be awesome. Heck $2400 is a great buy.

I have had my eye on it too. But I can't buy any more car stuff til I unload one of the other cars in the driveway. And it should fit fine, check they photos I posted on this thread. My buddy just bought a clip and installed everything. Seemed to go together pretty good.

I have had my eye on it too. But I can't buy any more car stuff til I unload one of the other cars in the driveway. And it should fit fine, check they photos I posted on this thread. My buddy just bought a clip and installed everything. Seemed to go together pretty good.

Thats sweet. can you find out what version it was, and what radiator he used. The TMIC is different than the one on ebay...the one on ebay is offset to the passenger side (our drivers side). Im in the same boat with too many cars. I need to fix and sell this 99 Outback limited. Getting ready to pull everything out this weekend.

Thats sweet. can you find out what version it was, and what radiator he used. The TMIC is different than the one on ebay...the one on ebay is offset to the passenger side (our drivers side). Im in the same boat with too many cars. I need to fix and sell this 99 Outback limited. Getting ready to pull everything out this weekend.

You don't want that intercooler that is offset like that. Its the old JDM slanty one. They didn't have room to fit it straight on those models so the offset the intercooler to make it fit. Just fun a FXT or LGT intercooler and you'll be good to go. Search "wrx slanty intercooler" on google and you will see a few pics of it.

Archived