LegacyGT.com

2.2/2.5 hybrid or 2.5/2.2 hybrid?

Looking to get opinions on a hybrid swap into my 95 leggy. I've researched the threads on the 2.2/2.5 swap and like being able to run 87 octane, like having more breathing room with the 2.5 heads, but I also like the thought of 180+ hp out of the 2.5/2.2 swap, but not the 91 only thought. Has anybody on here done the 2.5/2.2 build? My leggy has the ej22e in it now and it just feels a little doggy + it is beginning to have a rod knock.

Looking to get opinions on a hybrid swap into my 95 leggy. I've researched the threads on the 2.2/2.5 swap and like being able to run 87 octane, like having more breathing room with the 2.5 heads, but I also like the thought of 180+ hp out of the 2.5/2.2 swap, but not the 91 only thought. Has anybody on here done the 2.5/2.2 build? My leggy has the ej22e in it now and it just feels a little doggy + it is beginning to have a rod knock.

I have done the 25D/22E (25D heads/22E block) frankenstein. It is a very smooth and highly efficient hybrid with power in the right places. Even the 4.44 geared AWD systems make great use of it's power. It is widely flexible & takes very well to light turbocharging. With a 222/223 block, the 25D/22E hybrid, or as I call "EJ22D", is at maximum efficiency with what you can achieve with stock parts. This hybrid has amazing longevity.

I have done the 25D/22E (25D heads/22E block) frankenstein. It is a very smooth and highly efficient hybrid with power in the right places. Even the 4.44 geared AWD systems make great use of it's power. It is widely flexible & takes very well to light turbocharging. With a 222/223 block, the 25D/22E hybrid, or as I call "EJ22D", is at maximum efficiency with what you can achieve with stock parts. This hybrid has amazing longevity.

I have read all your threads on the 2.2/2.5D build and am leaning that way. I like the gas mileage your getting with it and the power at the low end doesn't seem to bother you much. What HP do you think your getting out of it with those heads? From what I understand, the 96-98 blocks will yield a higher compression than the 90-95 blocks. Use a type 2 thinner cometic head gasket for the ej22 for almost stock compression. I want the compression to be almost stock, but with the higher flowing heads, and ability to still run 87 without the risks.

I have read all your threads on the 2.2/2.5D build and am leaning that way. I like the gas mileage your getting with it and the power at the low end doesn't seem to bother you much. What HP do you think your getting out of it with those heads? From what I understand, the 96-98 blocks will yield a higher compression than the 90-95 blocks. Use a type 2 thinner cometic head gasket for the ej22 for almost stock compression. I want the compression to be almost stock, but with the higher flowing heads, and ability to still run 87 without the risks.

The MPGs attained weren't just from the hybrid.

The DOHC EJ22 in my threads had modifications to the air & ignition systems that maximized fuel atomizing as much as possible.

If you want maximum power/efficiency without the need for turbocharging, the later EJ22 shortblocks will provide the compression increase needed for power/tq.

The BHP my hybrid produced was about 150bhp, give or take 3bhp, especially since stock EJ22s produce about 130-135bhp & I've put my car against a few stock Legacy & Imprezas with EJ22s to compare powers.

As for running 87 octane, the "22D" has no problem with that up to 10+:1 compression. After that, you need higher octane. The first EJ22 I put together used a combination of EJ25D heads & a Phase 2 EJ22 block & ran smooth like a silk cloth.

The last one I did ran with the smoothness of silk & velvet with Rotella T6 & it was well maintained.

Archived