LegacyGT.com

Question on handling for Legacy owners

Tennessee_Speed

I am seriously considering buying the new '15 Legacy when it arrives. I've never had a Subaru or even rode in one. What I am interested in is a sedan that handles very well mostly in dry weather. A sedan that has a sharp turn-in, corners relatively flat, and fun to drive. I've had a 2000 BMW 3 Series and currently own an '07 Lexus IS250. The IS250 handles very well (it does have 18" wheels which helps) and I wonder if you guys feel the '15 Legacy sedan (or earlier models) will have that "fun to drive" ability?

I've read the '15 model has the latest Active Torque Vectoring system from the WRX but I don't want a car that would drive like an Camry or Altima but just includes all-wheel drive. The only other car I'm considering is the new Mazda 6 which is a great handler for a FWD vehicle.

I assume the '15 model Legacy will have improved handling compared to the '13 & '14 models, but who knows. I know the Legacy is not a BMW, but for you guys that have a late model Legacy - how does it handle and is it fun to drive ?

13+ have stiffer suspension than 10-12, so hopefully, SOA has learned a lesson and will keep that trend.

The AWD lets you exit corners aggressively, even if there was body roll entering. As long as you set the suspension and don't let off the gas, that is. The better performance will be in wet weather and if you ever get snow.

I also drive an 2011 Camry and the driving experience is night and day.

For the 5th gen, sway bars, Lowering a bit, more aggressive rubber and better pads make a big difference from stock.

Thanks for the reply & very useful info, minuccims.

I didn't mean to knock the Camry, but I'm just used to RWD autos so I was interested in the '15 Legacy whose handling might approach RWD levels. Actually the ideal Subaru for handling is the '15 WRX that I read has incredible road holding, but I'm retired now, my reflexes aren't the same as they were 10 years ago so the Legacy might be a better choice for me.

Either this or look at the new foresters. I dont believe ill own another fwd car unless strickly for higher mpg interstate usage for travel. Driving multiple subaru anywhere from years of 1998 to 2013 you can even feel suabrus awd system noticeably improving. In comaprison to your is250 I think youll be pleasantly surprised how spirited driving can be. But yes go with the legavy over the impreza, the interior room alone is worth the extra

Thanks for the info StopLightAssassin.

I'm looking forward to test driving the '15 Legacy. The Legacy seems to have great value - one of the few cars available that allows you to have electric seat heaters without having to order the most expensive option list available. The '15 Legacy Premium model has 17" wheels and the Limited has 18". It will be interesting to see if the 18"s make that much difference in handling. Quite a bit more expensive for the Limited.

Archived