LegacyGT.com

Oxygen Sensors

bluesuby

I can't recall any discussions regarding changing the oxygen sensors. I remember years ago changing the sensor (only one at that time) on a Chevy which seemed to make a favorable difference and changing a sensor on a Mazda 626 which was indifferent. Both had around 150,000 miles.

My LGT is coming up on 125,000 and I'm wondering if I should change them out now or wait for a code. Anyone have experience with this? How difficult is the access? Will I need a breaker bar and extension to get them loosened? The PB Blaster is ready for the job.

AutoZone carries Bosch and Denso, both claiming "exact fit" (I'm not a fan of soldering and wrapping sensor wires under the car). The cost for Bosch is around $267, for Denso $211. Anyone have a preference based on quality etc.? Thanks for any comments.

I'm in the same boat, I've got around 145k and I'm still running the original upstream o2 sensor. I've thought about replacing it, but I've been waiting for a CEL to change it since I don't think there's a replacement interval in the owners manual.

I couldn't find a service interval either. One caution I forgot to mention: the upstream and downstream sensors are different part numbers. And to complicate things, the manual car takes sensors different from cars with automatic transmissions. Read carefully and order the right parts. That being said. the consensus on Amazon is that Denso must supply the OEM sensors. Denso is a little more expensive than Bosch, but I'll pay more for an exact fit. Other comments on Amazon recommend a specific wrench for removal....what's wrong with a box wrench?

Archived