LegacyGT.com

Can it be tunned

Bababou

I have a 98 legacy outback and the motor is ready for a rebuild so I want to build it up for more power and I know a tune is going to be needed. I contacted a local tuner that is supposed to be the best in town but is also known for being a bit of a diva when it comes to what cars he works on. He told me that the only way to tune my car would be with a standalone computer. That causes some issues and some problems, issues being and extra $1500 to $2000 added to the build. Problem being it will make the car not pass emissions, I can work around that but it would be more or less illegal so REALLY don’t want to do that. So the question is do I have options at all? Can the stock computer be tuned or modified, if not is there a piggyback option that will also some upgrades to the motor or am I really stuck with a standalone system to make this work?

Thanks in advance for the help. I tried nasioc and as always over there I was told to and forced induction….. I hate being told that, more so when that would STILL require tuning.

I tried nasioc and as always over there I was told to and forced induction….. I hate being told that

And yet, it's the truth. In other words, you have no other options and it is not worth the investment in a naturally aspirated turbo. Keep it stock or get another car, those are the options that make sense.

For that kind of money you could go this route:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Legacy-GT-Boxer-JDM-EJ20TT-Engine-EJ20-2-Stage-Twin-Turbo-Motor-Trans-/321318520899

Twin Turbo 98 Legacy motor with tranny and ECU for $1200 plus shipping...

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For that kind of money you could go this route:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Legacy-GT-Boxer-JDM-EJ20TT-Engine-EJ20-2-Stage-Twin-Turbo-Motor-Trans-/321318520899

Twin Turbo 98 Legacy motor with tranny and ECU for $1200 plus shipping...

How difficult would it be to wire something like this in? I would also assume there are some physical changes to the car to make this work?

You should do some research of your own. Then you'll come to that startling conclusion that it doesn't make sense to dump $10k into your NA engine only to end up with a small bump in power.

I have been researching you condescending ass, I don't know tuning yet so some times questions need to be asked. Looking at the numbers and what I had hoped to do to the motor it would be more than a small bump in power. It would not be turbo power numbers but enough for me and what I want from my car. I never planned to spend anywhere near 10K on the motor $3500 to $4000. The only mechanical work I would have to pay for would be getting the cylinders bored out and resurfacing head gasket surfaces. Beyond that I would have been paying for tuning anything else I can do, so lots of money saved not paying shops to build my motor for me.

I have been researching you condescending ass, I don't know tuning yet so some times questions need to be asked. Looking at the numbers and what I had hoped to do to the motor it would be more than a small bump in power. It would not be turbo power numbers but enough for me and what I want from my car. I never planned to spend anywhere near 10K on the motor $3500 to $4000. The only mechanical work I would have to pay for would be getting the cylinders bored out and resurfacing head gasket surfaces. Beyond that I would have been paying for tuning anything else I can do, so lots of money saved not paying shops to build my motor for me.

Listen tear boy, you haven't done enough research. Wipe your tears, read some more, and act like you've done research, and you'll be treated with respect. Otherwise we're not going to tell you if it "can be tunned"

If you want "big" power, but want to stay N/A for some godforsaken reason, why don't you just swap in an EZ30D? Or buy an Outback with an EZ30D already in it?

Trust me, EZ30D's are the tits. Mine's been great, and it's so durable I haven't even needed to change the timing belt in over 140,000 miles ;) You can find them for under $2,000 all day long, and they make 210 bhp bone-stock.

And because I'm such a nice guy, I'll even save you time on research - Patrick Olson is in the process of swapping an EZ30D into his 1998 LGT sedan and has been documenting the major steps of the build in the "H6 Resources" thread in the "Conversions" section of NASIOC. Go give that a read.

How difficult would it be to wire something like this in? I would also assume there are some physical changes to the car to make this work?

If you want a meaningful, conclusive answer to that question, call a body shop in your area preferably one that has experience with Subarus, tell them what you are wanting to do (engine and drivetrain swap) and they will tell you how much they will charge you for it.

Is it easy? It depends by what standard you are asking.

Or visit the NASIOC boards.

I hate it when people "shop" for answers because they don't like the first few answers they received. "Shopping" around for answers does get you more answers and maybe answer you'll like, but not necessarily the right answers.

Archived