LegacyGT.com

What engines interchange on which cars?

Short answer -- All of them. We're a bit like Legos, in that respect.

You've got a couple of options here -- both are expensive, so just prepare yourself for that right now. Your bottom line to get back on the road with this car is at least 4k, and realistically, about 5+, depending on how crazy you wanna go. If there's no possible way you can make this happen right now, just stop reading and call a scrap yard because you've got a very pretty, very broken, very expensive paperweight.

What happened? How bad is the damage? If you want a quick, back-to-stock solution, we'll recommend snagging an EJ257 from the dealership, or from one of the many vendors here. That'll run you two large. It'll bolt right up to your intake manifold and off you go.

For a bit more, you can start thinking about forged internals -- pistons, rods, etc, which will give you much better performance over stock, but again, this is where it not only gets expensive, but also requires a bit of a commitment to further customization of the car as you start to piece it back together.

What are your plans for the car? Are you in love with it and want to keep it, or is it just a nice ride for you? (you're here, so I'm guessing it's the former)

Take a look around in the sub forums and read some of the build threads -- Anyone who's got a heavily modded car started out exactly where you're at now, and it'll give you a good idea of what kind of journey you're about to embark upon.

most people just get a ej257 which is the sti block or have there block halves machined and upgrade to forged pistons. the blown ringland on cylinder 4 is all too common and its a lot to do with the way the factory tune is under high boost cylinder 4 gets less fuel and runs lean and kaboom knock and blown piston.. so i would upgrade pistons and get a good tune from a knowledgable subaru person.

See my click here link for the right way to do it for a realible DD'er.

It really is that easy. Over 30,000 miles at 21psi, runs great, gets good mpg.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You don't want to be changing heads without other issues.

Heuberger a Vendor here has a ej257 for $1645. Get the gasket set for your year car, have your heads rebuilt with that gasket kit and go from there. Order a ej257 from a 2011 STI.

Read my click here link.

Contact my Tuner for your tuning needs, www.tuningalliance.com

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived