LegacyGT.com

that didn't take long

My just bought 05 lgt turbo bit the dust. Lucky I got it shut down imminently. I don't think the shaft broke. Cel light came on and the cruise light was flashing. About three miles later I heard a noise that sounded light spinning something to fast and itlloses balance. Going to call the place I bought it from and see if they will help me with fix. Here's hoping. Will keep you guys informed.

I am not really looking for big power gains just looking to get that poor designed turbo out of there. I know it's not the turbo's fault but the IHI design turbo is ancient technology. I am looking for a turbo that has updated design so it doesn't fail as soon as it skips one oil dinner. Not that I am not going to take extra care of it when it's fixed. If I don't get a tune will that cause drivability issues? Or just not let the turbo live to it's full potential. Cause really I don't care about full potential. If it's there I can get a tune down the road if I want to.

Just found out dealer isn't going to help as much as I thought. They said they found a new turbo on eBay for $400 and would install new oil lines. He told me that was $500 worth of fixing and if I wanted to do a different turbo and oil lines. They would put $500 towards what I wanted. I told him I would like to know what kind of turbo he found for 400 cause I didn't see any on eBay that cheap.

Wow. If I were in this situation, I'd take the $500 and get the work done elsewhere. I don't think it's mandatory to go OEM (though, I'd probably just get a vf46), but how many dealerships would offer to install an ebay-special? I'd really question their judgment.

Wow. If I were in this situation, I'd take the $500 and get the work done elsewhere. I don't think it's mandatory to go OEM (though, I'd probably just get a vf46), but how many dealerships would offer to install an ebay-special? I'd really question their judgment.

This. But I would get more money or return the car.

You need to know if there is metal in the oil. have them drain it and inspect it and you may want to be there when the oil comes out...

See it for yourself. Good luck with that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Update. Dealer said they won't take the car back. But would send me a $500 check to help fix. I used to work on cars so I am going to do it myself. Though I never touched a Subaru. Will probably need a lot of help from you guys. Any info will be much appreciated. 16g, infamous oil lines, occ's, anything else?...

Its easy. Really just leftie loosie, righty tigtie any bolts in your way and organize the parts in an ordered way so that come reinstall you won't forget anything.

Use anti-seize on any bolts. Get new gaskets. Remove bango filter. Check your turbo inlet for tears.

My subaru is my first turbo car and have done the turbo myself a few years ago, it was quicker than my first spark plug change in this car.

With this community, any one could do anything no matter the level. I pulled my motor out last year with the help of this place :)

Update. Dealer said they won't take the car back. But would send me a $500 check to help fix. I used to work on cars so I am going to do it myself. Though I never touched a Subaru. Will probably need a lot of help from you guys. Any info will be much appreciated. 16g, infamous oil lines, occ's, anything else?...

Well $500 could be worse since it was likely sold as-is.

Archived