LegacyGT.com

2006 Legacy idle after new plugs

Forum newb.

Help. Haven't had to do 1 ounce of work in this engine until now. All I did was swap out the factory NGKs (Iridium) and swapped in new factory NGKs (Iridium). Pretty easy job...nothing for me is easy :)

When I first started it...I wanted to make sure that all the boots were in good etc, so I hadn't hooked up the MAF yet and I turned it over to make sure that it would start. I don't know if that screwed EVERYTHING up or what, but I swapped out to 4 new plugs again just to make sure that it wasn't the plugs and it is doing the exact same thing. Here is the YT video that will show you what it is doing.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

**Update** Also - just to be clear - after turning it over the first time without the MAF I unhooked the battery so the computer would reset again and it starts up fine...but still a problem. Also, the battery is clean - both terminals are minus ANY corrosion whatsoever. I read a couple posts of people having weird behavior with idle because of bad battery or bad contact at the terminal.

Why on earth would you disconnect the MAF to turn the engine over ????

Plug everything back in a start the car.

I gather this is a GT ? or is it a 2.5i ?

After the battery has been disconnected for a while the ECU will reset and needs to relearn idle. Start the car and drive it, it may stall once but start it and keep driving.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Why on earth would you disconnect the MAF to turn the engine over ????

Plug everything back in a start the car.

I gather this is a GT ? or is it a 2.5i ?

After the battery has been disconnected for a while the ECU will reset and needs to relearn idle. Start the car and drive it, it may stall once but start it and keep driving.

Everything is plugged back in. As I said - I had everything on the passenger side moved out of the way so I can get to the back plug. I started with it this way so I could verify that I had all the boots connected right and everything was kosher. This is a 2.5i yes. I've been driving it for several days now and the issue doesn't improve. I'm pretty keen on noises etc in my cars - everything bothers me and there is not an engine miss or cylinder not firing that I can hear. After the first start, I have let the engine sit several times to reset the ECU so it can relearn what it needs, but I'm sitting at the same issue.

I can't view the video here at work, so I have no idea what the issue is.

But if you've pulled the negitive battery cable for like 20 minutes, then restart the car, the GT's will crank for about 10 seconds before they fire up.

Or if you leave the key in on, for like 10 second or so, the engine should fire up like normal.

The ECU well re-learn idle over a drive cycle or two.

I have never worked on a 2.5i, so I'm just saying how GT's react.

Make sure the MAF is plugged in well.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Perfectly normal in my opinion. My 2.5i is very temperamental after the ecu is reset, it starts funny, car almost dies and sometimes has died when I push the clutch in when coming to a stop. Things should go back to normal in 3-5 days depending on how much driving you do. What I do now, is after resetting the ecu I will let the car just sit and idle for 5-10 minutes. This seems to help speed up the relearning process a bit, and the car won't bug out as much when I push the clutch in when coming to a stop.

By the way, which plugs did you use? I'm looking at the factory service manual from 2005 and it looks like the non-turbo engines from that year called for double platinums like my 2009 does, ngk fr5ap-11's. You should be fine with iridium plugs regardless, but I'm just curious about the plug gap.

Perfectly normal in my opinion. My 2.5i is very temperamental after the ecu is reset, it starts funny, car almost dies and sometimes has died when I push the clutch in when coming to a stop. Things should go back to normal in 3-5 days depending on how much driving you do. What I do now, is after resetting the ecu I will let the car just sit and idle for 5-10 minutes. This seems to help speed up the relearning process a bit, and the car won't bug out as much when I push the clutch in when coming to a stop.

By the way, which plugs did you use? I'm looking at the factory service manual from 2005 and it looks like the non-turbo engines from that year called for double platinums like my 2009 does, ngk fr5ap-11's. You should be fine with iridium plugs regardless, but I'm just curious about the plug gap.

This is exactly it. I called Subaru and they said that the factory plugs on here was NGK Iridiums so that's what I put back in it.

Issue solved.

The problem was solved by cleaning the MAF and the throttle body and then resetting the ECU again.

Thanks to all for your replies! Will ask for your help in a few thousand miles when I have to do my valve covers :spin:

Archived