LegacyGT.com

Luk clutch

malimx6

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
plus we got 6" this morning...... well i went out and hit everything with brake cleaner wiped it the best i could. started it, let it get to temp. discovered the down pipe gasket is leaking where it meets the exhaust pipe. when i ran it the other night it was about 10 degrees outside, farenheight. lots of exhaust steem coming out hence why i thought it was smoking. i feel like an idiot. the pedal actually feels lighter than before, smooth as silk. i couldnt believe it. when we first got the car i thought it had a heavy A$$ pedal. i only buy manual transmissions and have felt all ranges. this one seems pretty light now. not as light as my toyota tacoma but lighter than before. i am really impressed with the way it turned out. monday i am doing the timing belt...... was going to do that right when the clutch went out so i will do that monday. i did use the sachs PP and disk. and the TSK3 sleeve and bearing.

Thanks a lot!! I think I will go the same route and most likely get the tsk3 kit for 100 bux extra.

I hope I won't have to do this in 120K km again and it lasts longer.

One of the mechanics told me he typically doesn't resurface dmfw so I will probably just leave it as it. Fw should last the life of vehicle and I don't beat on the car so I don't see a reason for a fw to be a problem. I hope those dampings or springs are not a problem but i'm sure they are designed for lgt's to last without constant beatings.

Is there anything else you would recommend changing while tranny is off?

I wanted to change the gasket for the exhaust while they got that off. What would be the name of that gasket?

is this one of them?

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/grimmspeed-turbo-to-downpipe-gasket.html

Tsk us highly recommended. I would replace all three gaskets. The once behind the turbo to the down pipe, the next one where the down pipe meets the exhaust and then the doughnut like lead gasket after the cat. I couldn't get fredbeans link to open on my phone but that probably is one. If the car hasn't been beat on the fw should he fine. I should have replaced the two thin metal gaskets but I didn't now I gotta take it off and replace thwm. I did replace the doughnut looking gasket as it came apart when o removed the exhaust

awesome, thanks!!

I guess I just need the names of gaskets for exhaust just to be sure I get the right parts. I'll look it up and post and if you could confirm that would be great.

Also, I forgot to ask, when you were pulling out front axels did you have to disconnect sway bar endlinks?

Are these other gaskets that I need?

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/subaru-downpipe-to-intermediate-pipe-gasket.html

or this one?

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/subaru-intermediate-downpipe-gasket.html

Should I get grimmspeed gasket or Subaru oem for my stock subbie?

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/subaru-turbo-to-downpipe-gasket.html

Hmm I found those two gaskets, turbo to downpipe and intermediate to downpipe gasket. Are there any others that I should replace?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
LOL! it took me a LLOONNNNGGG TIME! in reality when I added up the actual time it wasn't bad. it just happened right close to Christmas, after gifts were purchased, super cold here, snow, etc.... I like to take my time too.

well i'm still stuck with exhaust gaskets. I think i found those two that i posted above, but am unsure if there are other ones. I don't want the car to be up on a hoist and i'm missing parts or they are wrong. It's hard finding subaru parts here where i live. I called fred beans parts and the guy told me "you need to do a research and find out which pipes need to be removed then you purchase those gaskets". Like i didn't know...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

lol still didn't change it.

Stupid cad went down 10%. I should've bought all the parts when dollar was at par. Looks like that won't change so I will lose 10%. Plus i need to find a reliable mechanic. I can't find a mechanic that i can trust :(

• 5 months later...

I changed the clutch finally. I did it at a dealership. :/ i couldn't find a good mechanic here that didn't charge more than a dealer.

My first impression, AWESOME!!! It is really better than when the car was new. Which tells me that Subaru sold these cars with defective clutch. Pedal is so soft now. I can drive around parking lot in 2nd gear without any problems.

Note, i kept the dual mass flywheel, i didn't do the conversion to solid mass.

Only problem is, my front end shakes now at highway speeds. Looks like the didn't put something back together. I am going tomorrow so they can take a look.

Archived