LegacyGT.com

Radiator fans kicking before thermostat opens

Need help on this one guys. Just replaced my thermostat and flushed the coolant because my 05 legacy gt got hot on me the other day when it was only 10degrees out. Temp gauge went about an 1/8in above half, never has it done this. I pulled over asap, turned the car off but let the fans stay on to cool her down, it didn't even take 5mins and I was on my way. So my question is I got everything replaced, purged the system the best I could, drove it around for about 10mins in town 40mph. Pulled in the driveway and could hear the radiator fans running but the gauge was at normal half way mark. So I reached under the car grabbed the lower radiator hose and it was still cold. Why are the fans kicking on before thermostat opens or is this normal. I do know the car has had the fan relay and circuit tested and all was good. As maybe I need to drive around more as there could be more air in the system? But the fans shouldn't kick on before the thermostat opens correct?

Also forgot to mention I have a full mishimoto radiator and hoses so cooling should not be a problem.

Ok so I went and purchased a scan tool that can display live data feed. Plugged it in today and did some driving around. Found out once she got to normal temp I was sitting at 190F. Driving around 190F to 192F. Once the thermostat open lowest I seen was 174F then back up to 190F. At idle hottest was 200F. Outside temp 18F and air intake temp reading was 35F. Only thing I need to do is see what temp the fan kick on.

So my question to anyone that can: post your normal temp, driving temp, idle temp and if you can temp when your fans kick on. I think if enough people post what there car is doing this will help others see if there car is operating in normal ranges as it will help me as well. Also maybe a mod list and if tuned ignition timing as some modified cars can run warmer.

Hmmm.. Sounds like there could still be air in the system then. There's a slight chance there could be a head gasket issue though since that can introduce air (combustion gases) into the coolant system in some situations. Hopefully not.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Was your relay replaced under the Recall? The one where it burns your ECU and keeps your fans on ALL of the time.

I personally have an issue with fans too, even with new relay. My radiator fans kick on if I start the car below 30*F, AC/Defrost off and all. If I let the car warm up (with fans on), turn it off and turn it back on then fans don't keep running. I'm starting to think it's tune related, I will be flashing the latest revision available for 2005's soon.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

My fans wont kick on tell she is up to temp. Its like 9degrees today but if I turn the car off for let's say 10 mins fans wont kick back on tell she is up to temp again but lower radiator hose is cold, is my mishimoto radiator working that bad ass? Also I did do the head gasket coolant blue die check and all was good. Also relay has been changed and ecu has been checked all is good there as well.

there was a recall about radiator fans in the early days of the 05 lgt. At this late date, that should have been fixed. However, its worth a stop at the dealer to be sure for your car.

I did post it has been checked and has new relay.

Also my temp gauge on the cluster reads exactly half and today I let it warm up for 10mins took my daughter to school and headed for work. Took the highway and as soon as I gave her some boost and high rpm the gauge dropped almost down to the first mark on the temp gauge. Obviously the thermostat open but should to fluctuate that much, as I do have a mishimoto radiator. Does everyone else's do this and does your gauge sit at the half way spot on gauge? Anyone?

• 3 weeks later...

Replaced my radiator and thermostat because there was a leak at the upper seam. Now my fans dont turn on until about 210° and it operates at about 195°. Before I replaced it, I used to always operate at about 187°-189° even under WOT...I brought it in for a check up after I blew a camshaft sensor code (turbo went, whole other story), and the tech said it was fine, and overheating is about 230° or so, which seems high to me

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Replaced my radiator and thermostat because there was a leak at the upper seam. Now my fans dont turn on until about 210° and it operates at about 195°. Before I replaced it, I used to always operate at about 187°-189° even under WOT...I brought it in for a check up after I blew a camshaft sensor code (turbo went, whole other story), and the tech said it was fine, and overheating is about 230° or so, which seems high to me

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Hey thanks looks like we are about in the same ranges of operating temps. Do you have any mods? More or less anything that would create more heat.

Archived