LegacyGT.com

Just got 05 Legacy GT turbo, scared now.

The mods on the car and the CELs seem to indicate the car was owned by someone who couldn't properly care for it and dumped it on the dealership.

I would say sell the car back and take the short term loss right now so you don't end up with a long term headache... the more time and money you sink into it the harder it will be to get away from it, just like an abusive relationship.

As for clutch: Why would you cheap out on the clutch now with intention of replacing it later? By the time you want to upgrade the clutch will not be near needing changed, so you'll have to spend another $700 in labor plus whatever cost you have sunk into the "autozone" clutch.

it's already getting the AutoZone clutch installed :( should be mostly done...

I drove 7 blocks at 5 mph with hazards on just to reach the mechanic thanks to that Subaru tech...

I needed the car running again fast, but I assume this cheap clutch will get me through the winter. (hopefully)

Is the Banjo Bolt Filter hard to get to?

When you saw this car and knew the problems why did you then buy it? :confused:

The mods on the car and the CELs seem to indicate the car was owned by someone who couldn't properly care for it and dumped it on the dealership.

I would say sell the car back and take the short term loss right now so you don't end up with a long term headache... the more time and money you sink into it the harder it will be to get away from it, just like an abusive relationship.

As for clutch: Why would you cheap out on the clutch now with intention of replacing it later? By the time you want to upgrade the clutch will not be near needing changed, so you'll have to spend another $700 in labor plus whatever cost you have sunk into the "autozone" clutch.

This sounds about right. My car wound up being like that, previous owner was a huge douche, but she's better than new now :) OP, lingling is right, don't cheap out on parts. I never understand people who buy a car like this and then cheap out on parts. You buy the cheapest brakes, the cheapest clutch, etc and you take away from what a car like this should be. I also don't get doing mods in the cheapest way possible, because all of the hack work ends up costing more. I have an E36 M3 and it's appalling how many people try an ebay turbo kit because it's so cheap and then have problems. That's how I suspect my car was treated and modded beforehand. Do things right. It's not a Civic or Camry.

Ok, I sent back the parts and ordered spec's Stage 2+ kit. hopefully will last for a while. I should get the car back Tuesday or Wednesday... The Banjo has been removed and the starter shaft lubed. As well as some CV joint axel thingy that the mechanic said could have nearly destroyed the car if left alone.

My next real concern is the turbo going out, and checking the valves n such. At least I think those should be the priorities...

So far this site has helped a lot, as well as scared the $#!% out of me.

I have started looking at those warranties you can buy, would it be worth it? My engine and tranny warranty runs out in 4,000 miles and than it's just an engine warranty for the life of the car or length of my ownership (as long as the dealership does the oil changes and I'm not very fond of that idea).

It'll be fine. It'll feel almost like the stock one. I have competition stage 2 and feels just like how the stock one was. Just getting use to it and breaking it in sucks.

Forget about any warranty. You don't need it, even your current 4,000 mile one is history. Anytime anything is covered under warranty/recall etc, the work will be sh**. Just forget about it. They'll fix it the cheapest and quickest way possible until the warranty runs out. If that's what you want and how you want your car repaired, sure get another warranty. Lifetime warranty on the engine, same thing. Just Forget about.

So what was wrong? Burned valves? If so, They better replace all 16 valves and have the heads resurfaced/checked etc

Ok, I sent back the parts and ordered spec's Stage 2+ kit. hopefully will last for a while. I should get the car back Tuesday or Wednesday... The Banjo has been removed and the starter shaft lubed. As well as some CV joint axel thingy that the mechanic said could have nearly destroyed the car if left alone.

My next real concern is the turbo going out, and checking the valves n such. At least I think those should be the priorities...

So far this site has helped a lot, as well as scared the $#!% out of me.

I have started looking at those warranties you can buy, would it be worth it? My engine and tranny warranty runs out in 4,000 miles and than it's just an engine warranty for the life of the car or length of my ownership (as long as the dealership does the oil changes and I'm not very fond of that idea).

Bring your own oil and filter and pay them $10 to change your oil. They want you there to inspect things and to try and get more service business out of you. I honestly would like them rotate my tires after what you told me.

If you could find an after market warranty for $1,000 or less it will be worth it for the piece of mind. There is a lot of market up in the warranty business. Read up on the terms, length and who can do the work.

Then start finding another shop.

I am kicking myself for not buying a warranty. I'm a Honda owner normally and they never need a warranty. I'm $6k into this car on a motor rebuild.

Make sure your warranty covers a rental car. 3 months down for a rebuild adds up.

It'll be fine. It'll feel almost like the stock one. I have competition stage 2 and feels just like how the stock one was. Just getting use to it and breaking it in sucks.

Forget about any warranty. You don't need it, even your current 4,000 mile one is history. Anytime anything is covered under warranty/recall etc, the work will be sh**. Just forget about it. They'll fix it the cheapest and quickest way possible until the warranty runs out. If that's what you want and how you want your car repaired, sure get another warranty. Lifetime warranty on the engine, same thing. Just Forget about.

So what was wrong? Burned valves? If so, They better replace all 16 valves and have the heads resurfaced/checked etc

It does sound like they sold him a questionable car though. I wouldn't be telling him this. Had you told me this a year ago I'd be telling you, you were wrong. Might have a cracked ring and doesn't know it until he starts modifying it. Not so much as a compression check done on this car.

sounds like you need to get a second job as a mechanic. best thing u can do is learn how to change replace all the wear items and be able to check stuff like shaft play in your turbo. its truly not very hard. cv's joints are almost easier to just replace the whole axle just my two cents.

Archived