LegacyGT.com

97 legacy GT wagon heater issues

Hi all,

I have a suburu legacy wagon GT with the 4 cylinder, dont know wat motor. its got 80k on it.

i get no heat most the time, it blows air and all. the only time i get heat, the temp gauge will goto full hot (doesnt appear to overheat) then i get some heat, and the temp gauge will either stay at Hot for awhile, or go down to normal. sometimes it will stop giving heat when it goes down to normal.

maybe a malfunctioning thermostate or heater control valve? i dont wanna just throw money in buying a bunch of parts if the part is not broken. thanks all! I might keep the car and see if i cant make it higher cause i live on a farm and it goes off road sometimes. also the four wheel drive is horrible, it seems limited slip on each axle. it never appears to get all 4 wheels spinning at the same time in the mud. but seems like an OK car.

thanks!

Mark

You Sir are now a member of the 2.5 Headgasket Club. Lol.

All the way into the red and you don't think it's appears to be overheating? Really? It shouldn't go past the half way point on the gauge and mine will stay lower than the half mark.

ok thank you,there is no coolant in there but i had to drive it this morning and it was on full H all the way, bought some coolant and returned home, waiting for it too cool down so I can add it.

I dont think theres any damage done, as its very cold here where I live. well thats what iam hoping, it was driving ok,running good.

i dont think there was damage, its very cold here, refilled with coolant, car runs fine. did some wide open throttle tests, still pulls nice and strong, and no steam or white smoke out the exhaust. I guess ill be able to tell over the next few days if the car looses coolant. but nothing is coming out the exhaust, thats usaully the sign of a damaged head gasket on cars ive owned before. and how do i bleed air outta the cooling system? thanks guys.

mark

Mark;

Subies are a different animal. The cooling system is a reverse flow, top hose is the feed and the lower hose is the return. When the head gasket fails it allows the combustion chamber gases to build pressure in the cooling system, thus coolant is lost in the overflow bottle. So when the coolant level drops the heater quits working and drops below the feed so the engine overheats. Can be sure this is head gaskets unless the thermostat is stuck and or faulty radiator cap, Steven.

Archived