LegacyGT.com

What do you consider beating on a car??

Hey guys,

I was just curious as to what rpm people consider beating on the car. I usually shift gears at around 2500-3000 rpm and may occasionally bring it up to 4000 for a little bit more speed. In my opinion, I would consider anything higher than 4500 or 5000 rpm on our legacies to be beat on.

What are your thoughts??

I dont consider that beating on it at all its just stretching its legs. Beating on it would be dropping the clutch at 5k and flooring it all the time. I remember kids in HS neutral dropping their autos all the time. I had a manual camaro and was always doing burnouts lol but I never dropped the clutch. That car held up great till I sold it.

I would only call beating on the car ... doing the fun stuff.. too much, too long. Not warming up the car properly... trying to ebrake spin it in dry pavement.. Hitting the rev limiter and holding it there. Dropping the clutch.

A car is meant to run the engine to the redline.. it isn't meant to hold onto it trying to make a land speed record. It is meant to corner, but not meant to scrub and scrape everything. It's meant to brake and stop, but not meant to be left with hot brakes leaving deposits...

I got angry one day, turned on the car and peeled out of my driveway and my block. I haven't done that in.. as long as I can remember. I felt bad for my car.. because I didn't let the drivetrain warm up and it's pretty cold outside. Otherwise.. it did what it was meant to do.

I drive my legacy like a grandma until snow starts laying on the roads. Then it's rally car simulator 2014 haha. But in all honesty I think ever car is different, some are built to be beat on more than others. But there are always the obvious no-nos.

My biggest peeve, people who start their car and immediately start revving near redline either trying to heat it up or just showing off.

Yea

Don't do anything rough to the car until the needle is in the middle of the temperature gauge.

Don't drop the clutch at high revs as huge strain on the clutch itself and the gears In the transmission, differential, and it shocks the engine as well.

Doing excessive donuts in the snow will blow your viscous coupler. Don't use my avatar as the proper way to utilize your subaru ;)

As for when to shift. Your car is designed to rev to 6500 rpm and it is safe to take it there every shift.(that being said applies to lower gears as excessive speed is rough on suspension components and bearings) It's how u get to that rpm that determines how abusive you are to the car.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Yea

Don't do anything rough to the car until the needle is in the middle of the temperature gauge.

Don't drop the clutch at high revs as huge strain on the clutch itself and the gears In the transmission, differential, and it shocks the engine as well.

Doing excessive donuts in the snow will blow your viscous coupler. Don't use my avatar as the proper way to utilize your subaru ;)

As for when to shift. Your car is designed to rev to 6500 rpm and it is safe to take it there every shift.(that being said applies to lower gears as excessive speed is rough on suspension components and bearings) It's how u get to that rpm that determines how abusive you are to the car.

Also maintenance is a huge factor. If you rev to 4000 but miss are 4k over on your oil change. Your beating your car more than me who shifts at red line with clean synthetic t6 rotella.

I feel like cars are meant to be driven.... That said I think that you should drive "normal" most of the time but if you're going down the highway passing people a lot I think that's fine too. I consider beating to be when you obviously can tell that you are being very hard on your car. Just railing it and driving reckless is hard on it. But just going down the road and having to pass people and stuff is fine. Maintenance plays the biggest role in it all. My mom has a 2000 Yukon XL that she used to commute about 100 miles a day in. She used to fly. Passing people all the time. Everytime the center line changed to dotted yellow she was out passing people. That Yukon was always maintained well and it now has 220,000 miles on all the original major parts. Maintenance is key.

Agreed. They're meant to be driven.

IMO running every gear to redline, speed shifting, clutch dumps, etc is abuse.

My cars see redline usually once every 2-3 days. But never every time I drive. I also don't speed shift or abuse the clutch.

Well that's subjective as the set redline is very conservative and set low to ensure long life of the engine.

The real wear on a engine with a manual transmission is how aggressively it gets into its next gear,

Yes there is more load on the crankshaft as it's rotation increases, but it is how you dissipate that load that more directly affects engine longevity.

i usually run mine fairly tame, it is a 4eat and all. but i do let it roll to 4k+ rpm to shift usually tho. oonce in a while ill stretch his legs and take it up there, but IMO its the time it takes you to get up there that matters. if you have the pedal pinned to the floor to get to 5k+rpms its much harder on the engine than if you left it at half throttle.

my ex used to baby her suburban all the time, that sucker would end up with tons of carbon build up in the intake. id take it out and blow it out on the freeway once in a while. hated that brown cloud it popped out. but it always ran better after that.

I think aggressive acceleration has less wear than aggressive shifting via manual transmission or a auto trans with the sport shift mod etc.

It is how u get into the next gear that shocks the crankshaft. Just spinning it faster won't harm very much. It's the fact most people mess up there shifts when they drive fast that things go boom

Archived