LegacyGT.com

SI drive and Navigation swap

Energyblue98

I've been looking to purchase a Spec B for a while now, but I've determined that the only reason I want one is for the SI drive functionality and the in dash navigation because I like the integrated gauges on the screen (I realize the style is a little outdated).

I have plans to tune the SI drive to have one tune as a primarily gas mileage "commute" tune where I keep the boost low/non exsistant, and then have a "race" tune where I turn the boost up and go fairly aggressive, and a stock tune as the middle tune. I'm aware that I can do this with Cobb and I've done tuning before.

my question is this, can the SI drive be added into a 2005 GT Unlimited by just swapping the ECU and adding the switch? what else is needed? any wiring? do I need to swap the gauge cluster? or is this possible at all?

Also, Is it plug and play to swap in a Navigation from a Spec B? or will I have to tap into a wiring harness? I do not want an aftermarket double din to replace the radio because I think it looks tacky and I want it integrated with the digital gauges and gas mileage tracking.

If neither of these things are easy to swap into a GT unlimited, then I suppose I will spend the extra $3,000 for the Spec B.

There are other models of the Legacy that have SI drive and NAV apart from the spec.B. You need to do more research. There are plenty of answers to your swap questions here too.

Also just so you know, the gauges on the OEM NAV are ridiculous to desire. Do you really need a gauge to let you know how far you push in on the gas pedal? It's redundant indication, (other screens in the navigation give you all this info again, with more detail), of average MPG and current MPG attained beyond the accelerator pedal position. I still to this day have no idea why SOA thought that was cool (at least the JDM model has Voltage which isn't indicated anywhere else). Non-nav Legacy cars have trip mileage info as well in a different display.

I am aware of the navigation in the automatics, and the si drive in he 07+ LGT's. my desire for the throttle indicator gauge was for autocross videos. It would be nice to have an interior camera show the throttle as I'm driving through corners. I guess it's not a complete show stopper but it is nice to have.. the si drive is the main feature I'm looking for. couldn't find a swap thread but maybe I'm a noob at using the search feature :p

Look in the Interior/Audio sub forum. I believe AkumaMax swapped in the OEM navigation to a non-nav car. Also there are much better reasons to desire the spec.B than what you listed. It's not cheap to source the aluminum LCAs, lateral links, and trailing arms. Bilsteins are a step up from the KYBs, and if 07+ for SI drive, you also get a really strong 6MT with R180 diff. Gauges and a dial that has different throttle maps seems like simple items you can do to any LGT (if you really want an Eco map and such the Cobb AP will take care of this with real time maps created by your tuner).

Id really prefer to have the switch. I'm a tuner and i know i could create the lower fuel load portion of the table to run a little more lean and less agressive iginition advance and then turn it up when im wot, but id prefer to have a switch between the two different maps. I have my reasons, has anyone swapped si drive into there 05-06 legacy?

I have an 08 LGT parts car and HAD an 05 LGT limited. Both are 5 speeds.

I looked into swapping Si-Drive onto the 05. . . having both cars in the same driveway the process is still pretty ridiculous. You're pretty much gonna wind up changing out the entire dash wire harness, ECU, BIU, steering wheel, steering column, clockspring, center console, engine wire harness, and oh by the way, 08 has secondary air injection, so you'll either need to tune that out or run an 08 motor.

Short answer: yes, you can do it. . .but you'd have to be a lunatic. If you want Si-Drive, buy an 07-09. . . or maybe I'll decide I don't really want a LGT-swapped 2.5RS and I'll sell you all my 08 crap.

Here's a thread i started on the subject. . . which didn't really go anywhere:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/swapping-si-drive-onto-05-gti-215061.html

Archived