LegacyGT.com

Brake Squeal at Low Speeds

Hey can you guys help me diagnose this. I'm only getting brake squeal when coming to a stop (15mph or less). I bedded the brakes in a couple months ago and started getting squeaks a couple weeks ago. The noise goes away for 2 or 3 days after a car wash. What do y'all think?

I had this posted in the suspension/brake section, but it wasnt getting viewed.

I have a missing spring clip dampener thingy on one side which seems to cause something similar to what you describe.

Is the sound only on one side?

have you inspected the pads with the wheel off?

Check to make sure that spring clip is on there.

I would ensure that the areas of the shims and clips that need to be lubricated, still have proper lubrication.

The attached image refers to the way you lubricate oem brake pads and oem shims, so if you have aftermarket brake pads your shim setup might differ. Your clips should be lubricated in the same areas as the attached image though.

shimsclips.thumb.jpg.8768fe16ed303ce33d895014318c11e2.jpg

I have a missing spring clip dampener thingy on one side which seems to cause something similar to what you describe.

Is the sound only on one side?

have you inspected the pads with the wheel off?

Check to make sure that spring clip is on there.

It seems like its coming from the front mainly, both wheels. I'll try to lube the parts then see how it goes.

I would ensure that the areas of the shims and clips that need to be lubricated, still have proper lubrication.

The attached image refers to the way you lubricate oem brake pads and oem shims, so if you have aftermarket brake pads your shim setup might differ. Your clips should be lubricated in the same areas as the attached image though.

Thanks for this, Ill try lubing them up. I have stoptech brake pads, they dont come with shims.

sometimes wheel bearings can make weird noises, ive had 2 go on my car and they both sounded different, one only made noise between shifting, and one only made noise will breaking through a turn, so if you have no luck i would check them out

Good Luck

I run bare back and never get any noise.

When this happens to me I do some stopping to heat them up without actually completely stopping or letting the ABS kick in.

Yea the back of mines had been dry for about a month. Ive been thinking if I needed to just rebed them.

The backs of your pads or shims don't necessarily have to have lubricant on them, oem subaru brake pads don't call for any lube on the back of the outer shim. The brake pads I use have the shim fused to pad from the factory, so I don't use any lubricant on mine either. If you're running bareback, I assume there is no shim on the pad, so it makes sense that you wouldn't have any lubricant on the back of the pad since there is nothing that can move. When I mention moving, it's vibration that often times can cause pads to squeal with light braking pressure, hence why the noise goes away when there is more pressure applied to the brakes, the heavier brake pressure stops the pad vibration and noise.

If you don't have shims on your pads, I would remove your brake pads, and ensure that your clips are properly lubricated. While you have your brake pads removed, I would ensure that the slot in the center of the pads is clean and free of excessive brake dust.

The backs of your pads or shims don't necessarily have to have lubricant on them, oem subaru brake pads don't call for any lube on the back of the outer shim. The brake pads I use have the shim fused to pad from the factory, so I don't use any lubricant on mine either. If you're running bareback, I assume there is no shim on the pad, so it makes sense that you wouldn't have any lubricant on the back of the pad since there is nothing that can move. When I mention moving, it's vibration that often times can cause pads to squeal with light braking pressure, hence why the noise goes away when there is more pressure applied to the brakes, the heavier brake pressure stops the pad vibration and noise.

If you don't have shims on your pads, I would remove your brake pads, and ensure that your clips are properly lubricated. While you have your brake pads removed, I would ensure that the slot in the center of the pads is clean and free of excessive brake dust.

Thanks for this. Do the pads need to come out to grease the clips?

Yes, the pads need to be removed to grease the clips. Attached is a picture of pads installed in the clips, and the bare clips themselves.

I also just want to say that rebedding could fix the problem. But if I were in your shoes, I would want to inspect my brakes first doing the things I mentioned.

pads.thumb.jpg.c7c4a7aad360a33ddb4b648165b6f671.jpg

clips.jpg.95eafe04335a3bb9cd2ae9f75b6db354.jpg

Yes, the pads need to be removed to grease the clips. Attached is a picture of pads installed in the clips, and the bare clips themselves.

I also just want to say that rebedding could fix the problem. But if I were in your shoes, I would want to inspect my brakes first doing the things I mentioned.

I was thinking about the wrong clips. Thanks for the diagram. Thanks guys, Im gonna try this stuff out this weekend and see where it gets me.

Ive done some reading on stoptechs' website about the brakes they offer, and I think I just have an aggressive set of pads. I have the street performance pads which stoptech claims is for street and track use. Rebedding the pads would probably stop the noise for another couple of months, but Im just gonna pick up some posi quiets. Ive heard good things about them. I appreciate the help though!

StopTech pads dont squeal. Not without some help. They do dust a lot though.

These used to squeal a lot before I knew how to properly bed them in. Then they were nice and quite. But after a couple months the squeals would come back.

This man does not drag the brake at low speeds, lol.

I have been informed by customers in high humidity/rain fall areas that the HPS do not work well when wet.

Anyone else have that observation? Dont want to recommend them to customers in say Hawaii if this is true.

I live in Central Oregon which is a high desert climate. During winter I see temps anywhere from -15F to 40F all winter long, with trips up to the mountains for snowboarding. Still no squealing. I did my install with CRC brake quiet lube on the backplates where the caliper contacts them.

Well, I got some good news. I did the bed in procedure again, which called for 2 sets of 10 braking instances from 60. Did that last night and threw in a third set also. I've driven it a good bit today and haven't heard a sound from the brakes. I haven't used any lube either.

Archived