LegacyGT.com

Clicking sound - 2.2L 1994 Brighton 220 Wagon

My 1994 Legacy Brighton 220 JDM 2.2l (AT) has recently started making this clicking sound:

It does it whenever the engine is running, doesn't matter if it's in gear or not, does it when idling and driving. More revs = more clicks.

Fluids seem to be alright. It's not coming from the cam/fan belts or anything near there. I can't quite isolate where it's coming from but it's coming from around here:

http://i.imgur.com/QDcfH2i.jpg

I think it may be coming from the gearbox or somewhere close to it. There's been no performance or mileage loss but it's making a pretty noticeable sound and I'm worried it's going to shit out because of it.

Sounds like a collapsed HLA (hydraulic lash adjuster) to me. Sounds just like mine did:

I posted pics of the rocker assembly and HLAs here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/engine-clicking-fix-replace-kill-firei-191227.html

I posted the FSM procedure for removing the rocker assembly and bleeding the lifters here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/1998-legacy-2-2l-timing-jumped-engine-gone-help-replacement-192029.html?p=4057679

My guess is your engine has HLAs since it is an older model which is great since they are super easy to bleed/replace, and only $6-8 each new to replace. But don't loose sleep over it, it's not a huge deal and there isn't any immediate danger to the engine.

Make sure your oil level is up to par.

Cool thanks everyone for replies. Checked oil, was a bit low but nothing serious and has been worse before.

Going to give it a full flush tonight, throw some additive in as well maybe and some thinner oil in see if it works. Last thing I want to do is get into the engine.

H.L.A. and lifters are the same thing.

My 2.2 did the same thing for a while. It was annoying. Seems like it's a common thing. I've tried most full synthetic oils to try and silence them. Royal Purple, Mobil 1 and Amsoil did not work.

Some folks try running Marvell Mystery Oil or ATF in small amounts prior to an oil change due to the high amount of cleaners in them. Lucas, STP and countless other oil treatments were claimed to work. The articles I read did more to confuse me than answer a direct question. I was a little scared to run some of that through my 300,000+ mile engine just because of a ticking/collapsed HLA.

Red Line 5W30 had them quiet by the second day of driving. It has been silent since I changed it in October. I am not claiming that it is some magic oil. It may be coincidence, or that running various synthetics for 5 years it finally worked itself clean.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

How loud is the clicking? You know it's normal for injectors to click. Otherwise I'd guess it's the lifters on that engine. My old L did it and usually went away when I changed the oil and would come back near the end of the oils lifespan.

Archived