LegacyGT.com

Smoke issue under my hood 05 legacy gt

It's been doing this for a couple weeks now. I'll crank it when I wake up, it doesn't smoke.. I'll drive it a mile or 2 and I stop and it will smoke and a smell gets in the cabin. But of course when u stop you'll notice it more but after about 15 mins of driving with or with out stopping it stop smoking. I thought is was my catalytic converter bc I get and check engine light bc of it. But Idk what it is. Idk what coolant smells like but I been reading on here and that's what it could be.

Does it smell like burning oil? It's very common for these cars to develop a slight oil leak from the valve cover. The small amount of oil that leaks then drips down onto the exhaust manifold and the smell comes into the inside of the car through the heat/vent system.

How many miles are on your car?

If it's the same hose that was leaking on mine, it sucks because if it's been leaking for a while, there will be corrosion on the neck of the inlet, and tightening the hose clamp won't help because the hose won't be able to make a good seal with that corrosion.

I had to loosen the clamp and yank off the hose and scrub/scrape the inlet free of corrosion/buildup and then reattach the hose. Lost a bunch of coolant during the process and made a mess of course.

I've been getting the burning oil smell for the past 40K miles that I've owned the car, even though I've replaced CV boot, valve cover gaskets, leaking oil cooler, o-ring on top of power steering pump, new power steering pump... it's improved but still there.. don't care to look for the source until the next oil change... just can't seem to get rid of it..

Archived