LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy GT Slow Coolant Leak

Hello everyone!

I'm not sure if this is a common problem, but I seem to have a very slow coolant leak on the driver's side, right under the lower radiator hose. I wanted to see if anyone has heard of (or had experience with) this issue.

I noticed it at first when I had the heat on in the wonderful subzero temperature we had the last few days, and the heat would cycle from very very nice and hot, to blowing cool air. Popping the hood revealed that there was a small pool of coolant and water (melted snow) on the splashguard under tray. I haven't noticed anything leaking in the drive or in the garage, so I am lead to believe that this leak is due to the cold weather.

Since I am relatively new to the Subaru, and Legacy world, is there anything that I should be looking at a lot closer? The motor has just about 5400 miles on it from a rebuild (new turbo, new radiator, new everything inside from the previous owner). I am almost positive that there is either a leak in the hose, or in the reservoir, but won't have a chance to look at it until it's at least a bit warmer outside. I will probably end up installing a perrin up-pipe when I fix whatever this leak is as well!

Thanks for all the help!

Worst case could be the water pump weep hole is dripping. Meaning the water pump needs to be replaced.

Easy fix could be to tighten the clamps.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Since I really like to plan for the worst, is Mishimoto a decent company for LGT radiator? I had one a while back on a RB25 powered 240sx that lasted for years in salt and crappy winters.

I was just looking at an exploded view of the Legacy GT cooling system, and I am hoping that it's a cracked hose from wear, just based on specualtion and where it looks like it is leaking from.

Since I really like to plan for the worst, is Mishimoto a decent company for LGT radiator? I had one a while back on a RB25 powered 240sx that lasted for years in salt and crappy winters.

I was just looking at an exploded view of the Legacy GT cooling system, and I am hoping that it's a cracked hose from wear, just based on specualtion and where it looks like it is leaking from.

Great product. Only good if you have the manual. The auto has a heat exchanger for the tranny built into the bottom.

Archived